Making A Difference
Impact Summary Reports
- 2012 - Year in Review
- Beef Systems
- Learning Child
- Guardianship/Conservator Training Program
- Crops - Youth Programming
- Agricultural Economics
- Cropping Systems Productivity
- Food, Nutrition & Health
- Agriculture Water Management
- Animal Manure Management
- Water Climate Environment - Community
- Business Ventures and Innovation
- ECAP - Entrepreneurial Communities
- ESI and Beyond
- NACO Institute of Excellence
|West Central Research and Extension Center |
402 West State Farm Road
North Platte, NE 69101
Extension Program Areas:
- Integrated disease management on corn, soybean, wheat and grasses
- Disease diagnosis
Focus Areas of Interest:
- Soil borne disease management on corn, soybean, wheat and grasses
- Understanding crop residue management and water management and their impacts to soil borne diseases and root diseases
- Soil microbial ecology
- Disease diagnosis
- Liu, B., and Louws, F. 2011. Pythium and Fusarium communities in soils with long-term conventional tillage, no tillage and successional systems and their relationship with seed-rot and damping-off of soybean. Applied and Environmental Microbiology (in press).
- Liu, B., Munster, M., Johnson, C., and Louws, F. 2011. First report of Colletotrichum fragariae infecting cyclamen in North Carolina. Plant Disease 95: 1480.
- Liu, B., Louws, F., Sutton, T., and Correll, J. 2011. Rapid diagnosis of Colletotrichum acutatum and C. gloeosporioides using molecular techniques. European Journal of Plant Pathology 120:273-287.
- Liu, B., Gumpertz, M.L., Hu, S., and Ristaino, J.B. 2008. Effect of prior tillage and soil fertility amendments in soil on dispersal and infection of pepper by Phytophthora capsici. European Journal of Plant Pathology 120:273-287.
- Liu, B., Tu, C., Hu, S., Gumpertz, M., and Ristaino, J.B. 2007. Effect of organic, sustainable, and conventional management strategies in grower fields on soil physical, chemical, and biological factors and the incidence of southern blight. Applied Soil Ecology 37:202-214.
- Liu, B., Gumpertz, M.L., Hu, S., and Ristaino, J.B. 2007. Long-term effects of organic and synthetic soil fertility amendments on soil microbial communities and the development of southern blight. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 39:2302-2316.
- Ristaino, J.B., Johnson, A., Blanco-Meneses, M., and Liu, B. 2007. Identification of the tobacco blue mold pathogen, Peronospora tabacina, by polymerase chain reaction. Plant Diseases 91:685-691.
- Liu, B., and Correll, J.C. 2007. Molecular tools for taxonomy of Colletotrichum species. Brazilian Phytopathology 32:21-24.
- Liu, B., Wasilwa, L.A., Correll, J.C., Guerber, J.C., O’Neill, N., and Morelock, T.E. 2007. Comparison of Colletotrichum orbiculare and several allied Colletotrichum species for mtDNA RFLPs, intron RFLP and sequence variation, vegetative compatibility, and host specificity. Phytopathology 97:1305-1314.
- Guerber, J.C., Liu, B., and Correll, J.C. 2003. Characterization of diversity in Colletotrichum acutatum sensu lato by mating compatibility, mtDNA and intron RFLPs, and sequence analysis of two gene introns. Mycologia 95:872-895.
- Correll, J.C., Harp, T.L., Guerber, J.C., Zeigler, R.S., Liu, B., Cartwright, R.D., and Lee, F.N. 2000. Characterization of Pyricularia grisea in the United States using independent genetic and molecular markers. Phytopathology 90:1396-1404.
- Liu, B., Miao, R., Hollomon, D.W., and Wheeler, I. 1996. Molecular analysis of benzimidazole and phenylcarbamate in Rhynchosporium secalis and the effect of resistance on pathogenicity. Acta Phytopathologica Sinica 26 (3):211-215.
- The American Phytopathological Society
- The American Society for Microbiology
- Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society
- Ph.D., Plant Pathology, University of Arkansas
- M.S., Plant Pathology, Nanjing Agricultural University, P.R. China
- B.S., Plant Protection, Shandong Agricultural University, P.R. China
- Assistant Professor, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, (2011-present).
- Researcher, North Carolina State University, (2007-2011).
- Post Doctoral Research Associate, North Carolina State University, (2002-2007).
- Graduate Research Assistant, University of Arkansas, (1997-2002).
- Visiting Scholar, University of Bristol, United Kingdom, (1993-1994).