Making A Difference
Impact Summary Reports
- 2012 - Year in Review
- Beef Systems
- Learning Child
- Guardianship/Conservator Training Program
- Crops - Youth Programming
- Agricultural Economics
- Cropping Systems Productivity
- Food, Nutrition & Health
- Agriculture Water Management
- Animal Manure Management
- Water Climate Environment - Community
- Business Ventures and Innovation
- ECAP - Entrepreneurial Communities
- ESI and Beyond
- NACO Institute of Excellence
|West Central Research and Extension Center |
402 West State Farm Road
North Platte, NE 69101
Extension Program Areas:
- Range Beef Systems
- Nutrition of the Range Beef Cow
Research Areas of Interest:
- Study nutrition of grazing beef cattle; including forage intake, diet composition, nutrient requirements, supplementation, and interactions of nutrition with reproduction.
- Development and study of range beef systems and beef cow management.
- Oversee management and operations of University of Nebraska Gudmundsen Sandhills Laboratory and coordinate research with ranch personnel and faculty.
- Adams, D. C., Nielsen, M. K., Schacht, W. H., & Clark, R. T. (2000). Designing and conducting experiments for range beef cows. Proceedings of the American Society of Animal Science, (1999). Retrieved January 26, 2001.
- Sandberg, R. E., Adams, D. C., Klopfenstein, T. J., & Grant, R. J. (2000). N-alkane as an internal marker for predicting digestibility of forages. Journal of Range Management. 53:159-163.
- Lardy, G. P., Adams, D. C., Klopfenstein, T. J., & Clark, R. T. (1999). First limiting nutrient for summer calving cows grazing autumn-winter range. Journal Range Management. 52:317-326.
- Lamb, J. B., Adams, D. C., Klopfenstein, T. J., Stroup, W. W., & Lardy, G. P. (1997). Range or meadow regrowth and weaning effects on 2-year-old cows. Journal of Range Management. 50:16-19.
- Villalobos, G., Adams, D. C., Klopfenstein, T. J., Nichols, J.T., & Lamb, J. B. (1997). Grass hay as a supplement for grazing cattle I. Animal performance. Journal of Range Management. 50:351-356.
- Adams, D. C., Clark, R. T., Klopfenstein, T. J., & Volesky, J. D. (1996). Matching the cow with forage resources to improve profitability. Rangelands 18:57-62.
- Adams, D. C., Clark, R. T., Coady, S. A., Lamb, J. B., & Nielsen, M.K. (1994). Extended grazing systems for improving economic returns from Nebraska Sandhills cow/calf operations. Journal of Range Management. 47:258-263.
Honors and Awards:
- Senior Faculty Holling Family Award for Teaching Excellence, March 2000
- Kling Anderson Lecturer, Kansas State University Agronomy Department, March 1995
- Associate Editor for the Journal of Range Management, 1993-1997, 1989-1991
- Young Scientist Award, Western Section American Society of Animal Science, 1990
- American Society of Animal Science
- Society for Range Management
- Ph.D., Animal Science, New Mexico State University, 1980
- M.S., Animal Science, Utah State University, 1978
- B.S., Animal Science, Utah State University, 1976
- General Curriculum, Southern Utah State College, 1974
- District Director, West Central Research and Extension Center, North Platte, NE (2004 – present)
- Associate Dean, Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture, Curtis, NE (2004 – present)
- Professor of Animal Science/Extension Beef Specialist, University of Nebraska, West Central Research and Extension Center, North Platte, NE (1990 – present)
- Research Range Nutritionist, USDA-ARS Ft. Keogh LARRL, Miles City, MT, (January 1981-March 1990)