Soil Management Recommendations, Resources and Software
Nutrient Management for Agronomic Crops in Nebraska EC 155 available as free online PDF*
This 176-page manual provides nutrient recommendations for all of Nebraska's major agronomic crops in a single resource. The manual contains two components – a section outlining nutrient management principles and key information on macro and micro nutrients and a section containing fertilizer needs, strategies and recommendations for specific crops.
Note: Some documents are availabe in a web version and a PDF format - PDFs require the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Download free.
- Fertilizer management for alfalfa. (NebGuide G1598 *PDF, 224 KB; 4 pages)
- Fertilizer suggestions for corn. (Extension Circular 117 *PDF, 632 KB; 6 pages)
Fertilizer nutrient requirements for corn are based on expected yield and nutrient levels in the soil.
Download Corn N Calculator (.xls file)
- Fertilizer suggestions for grain sorghum, NebGuide G1669, (*PDF version, 593 KB; 4 pages)
Fertilizer nutrient needs for grain sorghum are based on expected yield, nutrient levels in the soil and fertilizer-nitrogen costs.
- Fertilizer suggestions for soybeans, NebGuide G859 (*PDF version, 917 KB; 4 pages)
This guide provides recommendations on how to manage soil fertility with fertilizer and lime application.
- Fertilizing Sugarbeets, Chptr. 8 of Extension Sugarbeet Production Guide (*PDF, 536 KB; 6 pages)
- Setting a realistic corn yield goal. NebGuide G481 (PDF version, 745 KB; 4 pages)
- Using starter fertilizers for corn, grain sorghum, and soybeans. NebGuide G361, (PDF version, 642KB; 3 pages)
- Management to minimize and reduce soil compaction. NebGuide G896 (PDF version, 786 KB; 4 pages)
- Site specific management of nitrogen in irrigated corn. (Extension Circular 163 *PDF, 466 KB; 8 pages)
- Use and management of micronutrient fertilizers in Nebraska. NebGuide G1830 (PDF version, 1.17 MB, 4 full color pages)
- Using a chlorophyll meter to improve N management. NebGuide G1632, (PDF version 784 KB, 4 pages)
- Harvesting crop residues. NebGuide G1846 (PDF version, 659 KB; 4 pages)
- Fertilizers for vegetables in home gardens: Gardener's guide for soil and nutrient management in growing vegetables. NebGuide G945 (PDF version, 667 KB; 4 pages)
Precision Agriculture Extension Circulars
(PDF format, 150-200 KB; 4 pages unless noted)
- Untangling the GPS String
- Soil Sampling for Precision Agriculture
- On-the-go vehicle-based soil sensors
- Applications of remote sensing in site-specific management (162 KB; 6 pages)
- Listening to the story told by yield maps (362 KB; 8 pages)
- Lime use for soil acidity management. NebGuide G1504 (PDF version, 1.02 MB; 4 pages)
- Management strategies to reduce the rate of soil acidification. NebGuide G1503 (PDF version, 759 KB; 4 pages)
Manure and Organic Amendments
- Application of liquid animal manures using center pivot irrigation systems. EC778, (*PDF 1.60 MB; 13 color pages)
- Sewage sludge utilization for crop production. NebGuide G1454 (PDF version, 669 KB; 4 pages)
- Determining crop available nutrients from manure. NebGuide G1335 (PDF version, 946 KB; 4 pages)
- Sampling manures for nutrient analysis. NebGuide G1450
(PDF version 1.2 MB; 4 pages)
- Manure testing: What to request? NebGuide G1780 (PDF version, 590 KB; 3 pages)
- Agricultural phosphorus management and water quality protection in the midwest: a Heartland Regional Water Coordination Publication. RP187 (PDF)
- Agricultural nitrogen management for water quality protection in the midwest: a Heartland Regional Water Coordination Publication. RP189 (PDF)
- Targeting watershed management practices for water quality protection: a Heartland Regional Water Coordination Publication. RP195 (PDF)
- Soil and water summaries for 2005 to 2006. NebGuide G1719
*PDF docs require the Acrobat Reader for reading or printing. Download free from the Adobe Web site.
Identify Nutrient Deficiencies
Plant symptoms can be used to differentiate and identify crop nutrient disorders. Symptoms of nutrient deficiency vary with variety, growing conditions, and plant age. Similar symptoms may be caused by other abiotic or biotic stresses.
- Key to Nutrient Deficiencies in Corn and Sorghum Use this key to help identify 7 nutrient disorders observed in Nebraska corn and sorghum.
- Key to Nutrient Deficiencies in Soybean Key to help identify nutrient disorders in soybean.
- Key to Nutrient Deficiencies in Wheat and other Small Grains Key to help identify nutrient disorders found in wheat and small grains.
- Uganda Fertilizer Optimizer - is intended to maximize net returns on investment in fertilizer for finance constrained crop production through optimized selection of crop-nutrient-rate combinations. It considers 15 crop-nutrient response functions including functions for maize, sorghum, rice, dry bean, peanut, and soybean. NEW
*requires Excel 2007 or later
- Fertilizer Chooser - 8.3 MB Binary file uses Java Run Time Environment. Free download.
Manual to accompany the Fertilizer Chooser (Word file, 933KB)
manual includes Installation Instructions
- Hybrid-Maize Model - A computer program for simulating corn growth and yield
- Corn Nitrogen Recommendations Calculator
- Winter Wheat Fertilizer Calculator. Use these calculators in conjunction with Extension Circular EC 143 (PDF 889 KB, 10 pages)
- Yield Check - An algorithm for filtering yield monitor data. (compressed zip file includes PDF explanation document)