Please see the drop-down menu under Food Topics in the top navigation bar for links to pages on other food topics.
Know how. Know now.
From border to border in Nebraska, UNL Extension is making an incredible impact on the success of our state — its youth, its families, its farms and ranches, its communities, its economy. Please check these websites for more "know how, know now" information.
- Handling Food Safely on the Road
- Thanksgiving Food Preparation Tips: Helpful Links
- Egg Handling & Safety Tips at Easter
- Making Homemade Ice Cream without Using Raw Eggs
Everyday Kitchen Tips:
- Food Safety Checklist For "Planned-over" Foods
- Serving Soup -- Safely!
- Washing and Preparing Fruits and Vegetables
- Cleaning the Kitchen Cupboard: Toss or Save?
- How Often Should You Change Your Dishrag?
- Forgotten in the Fridge (source: Food Reflections)
Temperatures, Storage and Freezers:
- Cracking the Code on Egg Cartons
- Is It Safe to Refreeze Raw Meat & Poultry that Has Thawed?
- Will Reheating Food Make It Safe If You Forget to Refrigerate It?
- Is It Safe to Eat a Food that Has Freezer Burn?
- How to Tell if Your Freezer Power Was Off When You Were Away
- Pass the Taste Test: Use a Thermometer
- Use a Refrigerator AND a Freezer Thermometer
Currently featuring ...
(Updated November 26, 2013)
- Healthy Bites Newsletter
December: Healthy holiday party tips
- Cook It Quick Newsletter
October / November
- Food Reflections Newsletter
Holiday Food Safety Quiz
- Walk Nebraska Newsletter
November Issue: Finding Time for Fitness over the Holidays
- Making HealthierRDecisions
- Nutrition Know How Blog
(A new tip posted weekly)
- Discover Foods Blog
(a new tip posted weekly)
- Cook It Quick Blog
(published 1 -2 times/month)
- Food, Nutrition & Health by the Month Calendar
- Food Fun for Young Kids (Pinterest)
- Easy (& Healthy!) Everyday Recipes (Pinterest)
- "Choose MyPlate" Update (video)
- 4-Day Throw Away (food safety app)
- Choose MYPlate: Selected Consumer Messages (free PowerPoint and online slide show)
- Test Your Salt Savvy (quiz)