Loren J. Giesler
Soybean and Turf Specialist
- Ph.D. Plant Pathology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- M.S. Plant Pathology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- B.A. Biology, Chadron State College
Professional Responsibilities and Activities
Extension and Research
Disease surveys on soybean viruses and Phytophthora sojae races in Nebraska. Management studies on soybean viruses and germplasm evaluations to find tolerance to Bean Pod Mottle Virus. Efficacy trials for soybean seed treatment fungicides and development of an integrated management program for Phytophthora sojae. Soybean rust fungicide application studies with USDA and national leader for identification of soybean rust. Toured South America rust fungicide efficacy trials in 2004 and 2005. Coordinator for national soybean rust sentinel monitoring efforts. My program also is working on several studies on soybean cyst nematode to improve management programs for this significant pest of soybean.
Fungicide efficacy trials for various diseases affecting turfgrass quality on golf and landscape turfs.
University and Professional Service
- IANR Pesticide Advisory Committee
- Oilseeds and Misc. Crops Committee
- Field Crops Diagnostics Manual and IPM Working Groups
- NCERA-137 (Soybean Disease Committee)
- NCERA-208 (Soybean Rust Committee)
- American Phytopathological Society Extension Committee (Chair 2006)
- American Phytopathological Society North Central Division Secretary/Treasurer
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln Junior Faculty Holling Family Award for Teaching Excellence (2006)
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln Distinguished Extension Specialist (2005)
- IANR Dinsdale Family Faculty Award (2004)
- Certificate of Recognition for Contributions to Students from the NU Parent Association and NU Teaching Council (2004)
Crop Watch *
Disease Management Reports
First Report of Soybean Rust Caused by Phakopsora pachyrhizi in Nebraska. Watson, S.R., Giesler, L.J., Ziems, A.D., and Brovont, T.E., Plant Dis. 92:1588., 2008.