Integrating the New ASABE Manure Standard into Nutrient Planning
Author: Rick Koelsch, University of Nebraska
Summary: Accurate estimates of manure excretion are important to nutrient planning. Such estimates are critical to planning processes such as estimates of land requirements and manure storage size. Past standards from ASAE, NRCS, and MWPS are based upon typical animals from the 1960 - 80's, often producing significant errors in nutrient plans. ASABE has published a new manure excretion standard to provide more accurate and farm specific estimates.
A video workshop that is available for viewing on your computer will:
- Introduce the new average excretion values for animals typical of today.
- Provide a guided tour of a software package designed to estimate manure nutrient excretion specific to an individual farm and the land requirement for utilizing the predicted nutrient excretion.
- Discuss potential applications of the new standard in the strategic nutrient planning process.
To Obtain Copy of ASABE Standard
- Go to ASABE Web site
- Select category from drop-down list: “Standard”
- Click on Select by: “Title”
- Enter your query: “Manure Production”
- Click “Go”
This should bring you to the results page with the listing, Manure Production and Characteristics
ASAE ASAE D384.2 March 2005
- Click on “Download pdf” to receive an electronic copy of the entire standard.
To obtain copy of spreadsheet:
- Right click on #2 Nutrient Inventory
- Select "Save target, or link as" option. This allows you to store files to your own hard drive.
- Open the new file from your hard drive.