Please see the drop-down menu under Food Topics in the top navigation bar for links to pages on other food topics.
Tomato Basil Bruschetta
Enjoy fresh and flavorful tomatoes in this quick and easy version of a tomato bruschetta recipe! It's great as a snack or an appetizer and is loaded with nutrients.
This recipe makes approximately 12 servings, depending on whether you add the topping to the bread or people serve themselves.
- 8 ripe Roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 red onion, Spanish onion or sweet onion, chopped
- 6 to 8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 loaf Italian or French bread, cut into 1/2 inch diagonal slices
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine tomatoes, garlic, onion, basil and olive oil in a bowl. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Arrange bread on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake about 5 to 7 minutes until it begins to brown slightly.
- Remove bread from oven and transfer to a serving platter.
- Serve the tomato mixture in a bowl with a serving spoon and let everyone help themselves. Or place some on each slice of bread before serving. If adding the tomato mixture yourself, add it at the last minute or the bread may become soggy.
If you’re short on time, the tomato topping (minus the basil) can be made earlier in the day and refrigerated. Wait until you're ready to turn on the oven for the bread before chopping and adding the basil. Set mixture aside at room temperature while the bread is toasting.