Rice Del Sol (rice with yellow vegetables)
Alice Henneman, MS, RD, University of Nebraska–Lincoln Extension in Lancaster County
Alice's Note: "Sol" refers to the sun. With an assortment of yellow ingredients, this dish is indeed sunny! I carried the yellow theme a step further, by adding a topping of 1 cup of grated yellow cheese before serving.
Rice Del Sol
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped leeks, white part only (see tip #1)
- 1 medium yellow squash, diced
- 1 cup cooked fresh corn, cut from cob (see tip #1)
- 3 cups cooked rice (see tip #2)
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest (see tip #3)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add leeks; cook until soft and golden, but not brown.
- Add squash and corn; cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice and lemon zest. Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- I made this recipe on the spur of the moment and substituted what I had on hand for the onion and the corn. I used 1 cup of chopped onion and 1 cup of thawed frozen corn.
- Save time and prepare your rice earlier in the day or the day before. The USA Rice Federation (http://www.usarice.com) states "Cooked rice may be stored in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days." Refrigerate rice
in shallow pans; avoid leaving rice at room temperature more than two hours, total time.
- If you have used the juice but not the zest of a lemon, freeze the shell until you make a recipe requiring lemon
zest. Grate directly from the frozen lemon.