Food, Nutrition and Health by the Month
National Food Days, Weeks & Months
Kayla Colgrove, MS, RD
Contributors: Kayla Colgrove, MS, RD, UNL Extension in Gage County; Alice Henneman, MS, RD, UNL Extension in Lancaster County; and Lisa Franzen Castle, MS, RD, PhD, Panhandle Research and Extension Center.
Questions or comments? Email Kayla Colgrove, MS, RD
You are welcome to link to our calendar.
Note: Days marked by asterisks (*) change yearly.
Click on a link to find TIPS, RECIPES, and RESOURCES related to that day, week or month. Or simply scroll down the page.
National Food Days
- Deviled Egg Day (November 2)
- Sandwich Day (November 3)
- Cook Something Bold & Pungent Day (November 9)
- Spicy Guacamole Day (November 14)
- World Diabetes Day (November 14)
- Clean out Your Refrigerator Day (November 15)
- Homemade Bread Day (November 17)
- Take a Hike Day (November 17)
- Thanksgiving (November 22, 2012 / 4th Thursday)
- Eat a Cranberry Day (November 23)
- National Parfait Day (November 25)
- Throw Out Your Leftovers Day (November 29)
- Chocolates Day (November 29)
National Food Weeks
National Food Months
Follow these directions from the American Egg Board for making the perfect hard-cooked (hard-boiled) egg.
The bold flavors of chili powder, cumin and green chiles enhance this simple-to-make and good-for-you Mexican Skillet Rice.
(Image courtesy of USA Rice Federation)
Here's how to use a refrigerator and a freezer thermometer to keep your food at best quality.
It's a beautiful time of the year to get outdoors and experience the fall colors! Get ideas for making walking a part of your lifestyle on our Walk Nebraska page.
Find tips for getting active at all ages on our Physical Activity pages.
Check these useful resources:
A staple on any Thanksgiving Holiday spread, cranberries have a taste all their own and are packed with nutrients that offer a variety of potential health benefits. Add dried cranberries to your favorite trail mix or add some color to a family favorite, apple crisp.
It makes a great quick meal when all you feel like fixing is a bowl of cereal.
Check Healthy Bites Newsletter 2010 newsletter for information on for an article giving information on delaying and preventing diabetes. And ... check out our series of Control Diabetes for Life videos and handouts.
Source: American Diabetes Association
Find peanut butter recipes at:
Add sweet potatoes to your breakfast menu with this quick and delicious frittata and more recipes from the North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission.
Currently featuring ...
(Updated June 5, 2013)
- Healthy Bites Newsletter
June: Dairy Month
- Cook It Quick Newsletter
- Food Reflections Newsletter
June Issue: Nuts for Nutrition
- Walk Nebraska Newsletter
June 2013: Choose Healthy Fat
- Making HealthierRDecisions
- Nutrition Know How Blog
(A new tip posted weekly)
- Discover Foods Blog
(a new tip posted weekly)
- Cook It Quick Blog
(published 1 -2 times/month)
- A Runner Eats
(Written by a dietitian/former Univ. of Nebraska All-American runner)
- Food, Nutrition & Health by the Month Calendar
- Food Fun for Young Kids (Pinterest)
- Easy (& Healthy!) Everyday Recipes (Pinterest)
- "Choose MyPlate" Update (video)
- 4-Day Throw Away (food safety app)
- Choose MYPlate: Selected Consumer Messages (free PowerPoint and online slide show)
- Test Your Salt Savvy (quiz)