Please see the drop-down menu under Food Topics in the top navigation bar for links to pages on other food topics.
Food, Nutrition and Health by the Month
National Food Days, Weeks & Months
Kayla Colgrove, MS, RD
Contributors: Kayla Colgrove, MS, RD, UNL Extension in Gage County; Alice Henneman, MS, RD, UNL Extension in Lancaster County; and Lisa Franzen Castle, MS, RD, PhD, Panhandle Research and Extension Center.
Questions or comments? Email Kayla Colgrove, MS, RD
You are welcome to link to our calendar.
Click on a link to find TIPS, RECIPES, and RESOURCES related to that day, week or month. Or simply scroll down the page.
Questions about March Calendar? Email author, Kayla Colgrove, MS, RD, Extension Educator
National Food Days
* Day changes yearly
- Peanut Butter Lover's Day (March 1) / Peanut Month
- Cereal Day (March 7)
- Ag Day (March 19, 2013) *
- St. Patrick's Day (March 17)
- World Water Day (March 22)
- Pecan Day (March 25)
- Spinach Day (March 26)
- Make Up Your Own Holiday Day (March 26)
- American Diabetes Alert Day (March 26, 2013 4th Tuesday in March) *
- Easter (March 31, 2013 ) *
National Food Weeks
- National School Breakfast Week (March 4 - 8, 2013)
- Salt Awareness Week (March 11 - 17, 2013)
- National Agriculture Week (March 17 - 23, 2013)
National Food Months
- Colon Cancer Awareness Month
- Flour Month
- Frozen Food Month
- National Nutrition Month
- Noodle Month
- Sauce Month
For some unique recipes made with peanuts and peanut butter, check these Web sites:
NebGuides from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources
More information and recipes for pecans at:
(Photo courtesy of National Pecan Shellers Association)
List of Proposed Food Holidays:
Control Diabetes for Life is an educational program that is offered by UNL Extension 1-3 times a year in various locations in Nebraska. Check out Control Diabetes for Life's website to watch archived sessions.
Check our guidelines on storing flour:
SMOOTHIE RECIPE: Make the smoothie on the right by blending 1 cup unsweetened frozen raspberries, 3/4 cup 100% orange juice, and 1/2 cup fruit-flavored, low-fat yogurt (such as peach).
For more information and recipes for cooking with pasta, visit the National Pasta Association website.
(Photo courtesy of the National Pasta Association)
Currently featuring ...
(Updated December 9, 2013)
- Healthy Bites Newsletter
December: Healthy holiday party tips
- Cook It Quick Newsletter
- Food Reflections Newsletter
Holiday Tips via Pinterest
- Walk Nebraska Newsletter
December Issue: Fitting in Activity - Walking at Work
- Making HealthierRDecisions
- Nutrition Know How Blog
(A new tip posted weekly)
- Discover Foods Blog
(a new tip posted weekly)
- Cook It Quick Blog
(published 1 -2 times/month)
- Agri-Cultural with Dr. Lindsay
- Food, Nutrition & Health by the Month Calendar
- Food Fun for Young Kids (Pinterest)
- Easy (& Healthy!) Everyday Recipes (Pinterest)
- "Choose MyPlate" Update (video)
- 4-Day Throw Away (food safety app)
- Choose MYPlate: Selected Consumer Messages (free PowerPoint and online slide show)
- Test Your Salt Savvy (quiz)