Please see the drop-down menu under Food Topics in the top navigation bar for links to pages on other food topics.
Food, Nutrition and Health by the Month
National Food Days, Weeks & Months
Kayla Colgrove, MS, RD
Contributors: Kayla Colgrove, MS, RD, UNL Extension in Gage County; Alice Henneman, MS, RD, UNL Extension in Lancaster County; and Lisa Franzen Castle, MS, RD, PhD, Panhandle Research and Extension Center.
Questions or comments? Email Kayla Colgrove, MS, RD
You are welcome to link to our calendar.
National Food Days
- Eat Beans Day (July 3)
- 4th of July (July 4)
- Macaroni Day (July 7)
- Ice Cream Day (July 21, 2013 - third Sunday of the month)
- Hamburger Day (July 28)
National Food Weeks
- Salad Week (4th week)
National Food Months
Macaroni has such a versatile shape that it works equally well in salads, soups, and even topped by your favorite pasta sauce. Why not experiment on Macaroni Day by using fiber-rich whole grain pasta or part whole grain pasta in your favorite pasta dish.
Image courtesy of Cattlemen's Beef Board & National Cattlemen's Beef Association
Fill up, not out, on fruits and veggies in a lightly dressed salad! Check your Farmers Market for fresh, locally grown produce.
Thinking about a career in the culinary arts?
Read these before you fire up the grill!
Summer is a time for picnics - follow these tips to keep picnic food safe:
Currently featuring ...
(Updated December 9, 2013)
- Healthy Bites Newsletter
December: Healthy holiday party tips
- Cook It Quick Newsletter
- Food Reflections Newsletter
Holiday Tips via Pinterest
- Walk Nebraska Newsletter
December Issue: Fitting in Activity - Walking at Work
- Making HealthierRDecisions
- Nutrition Know How Blog
(A new tip posted weekly)
- Discover Foods Blog
(a new tip posted weekly)
- Cook It Quick Blog
(published 1 -2 times/month)
- Agri-Cultural with Dr. Lindsay
- Food, Nutrition & Health by the Month Calendar
- Food Fun for Young Kids (Pinterest)
- Easy (& Healthy!) Everyday Recipes (Pinterest)
- "Choose MyPlate" Update (video)
- 4-Day Throw Away (food safety app)
- Choose MYPlate: Selected Consumer Messages (free PowerPoint and online slide show)
- Test Your Salt Savvy (quiz)