Healthy Bites for September:
Did you know that people who eat whole grains as part of a healthy diet have a reduced risk of some chronic diseases? Grains provide many nutrients vital for health and it is recommended that at least half of all the grains eaten be whole grains. September is whole grains month, and on average most Americans eat enough grains, but few are whole grains. Check out this month's Healthy Bites for tips to help increase your intake of whole grains.
- MyPlate: Grains Group, G1607. This UNL publication describes ways to include grain food products, especially whole grains, into the diet.
- Grain Group: Make half your grains whole. Nutrition Education Program (NEP) Fact Sheet.
- Whole Grains Council. Learn about the universe of new tastes you've been missing out on and try out these recipes using whole grains
- USDA ChooseMyPlate.gov: Health and Nutrition Information on the Grains Group.
- Nutrition Facts: An interactive guide to food labels. Use this interactive guide to the Nutrition Facts label to help understand what you're eating so you can make healthier choices.
- United Sates Department of Agriculture (USDA). 2012. Choose Food Groups: Grains.