Please see the drop-down menu under Food Topics in the top navigation bar for links to pages on other food topics.
Greek Rice Salad Made with Brown Rice
Alice Henneman, MS, RD, UNL Extension in Lancaster County
Cooked brown rice can be stored, covered tightly, in a shallow container in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days or in the freezer for 6 months according to the USA Rice Federation. Make a larger batch and use throughout the week and/or freeze for later use. Here's a quick, delicious recipe to make from cold, cooked brown rice.
Greek Rice Salad
Source: Courtesy of USA Rice Federation. For more good-tasting rice recipes, go to www.usarice.com
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 3 cups cooked medium grain brown rice
- 1 cup red grape tomatoes; sliced in half
- 1/3 cup pitted Kalamata olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup Feta vinaigrette dressing
- Salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste
- Romaine leaves
Combine rice, tomato halves, olives and vinaigrette in a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with whole Romaine leaves, which can be used like taco shells to hold filling. Alternatively, arrange Romaine leaves on a platter and place rice mixture on top of greens. Chill.
For an Italian Rice Salad, you might try substituting an Italian oil/vinegar-type dressing and green olives for the Feta vinaigrette dressing and the Kalamata olives.
- Brown Rice Basics (brochure from the USA Rice Federation)
- Now You're Cooking with Brown Rice! (more recipes)