Welcome to Cook It Quick!
Cook It Quick's goal is to make you “hungry for healthy food” by offering tips and delicious, quick-to-prepare, inexpensive recipes.
Preparing these recipes and using the tips will help you increase consumption of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat dairy products.
At the same time, you will reduce sodium, solid fats, and calories. Food safety tips are included.
~ Alice Henneman, MS, RD
Questions or Comments? Email Alice Henneman
Cook It Quick Tips (hundreds of ideas!)
Time-saving Tips and Make-ahead Ideas
Recipes and Meal Ideas
Basic How-to's, Methods for Meats/Poultry/Eggs, Baking, Cooking with Grains and Dry Beans
Tools, Tips, Substitutions, Recipe Conversions, Temperatures and More!
Food Safety Tips for All Kinds of Situations, from our Food Safety pages.
Quick Links to Popular Cook It Quick Articles
- Ingredient substitutions
- Temperature conversion: Fahrenheit and Celsius
- Interpreting can sizes (Number 2, 303, etc.)
- Reducing recipe size
- Refreezing thawed meat
- Cleaning the kitchen cupboard - toss or save? pdf
- Toasting nuts
- Dry beans
- Brown rice
- Olive oil salad dressing
- Freezing onions
- How to choose kitchen tools pdf
- Recommended cooking temperatures pdf
- How to cook ahead ... safely! pdf
Currently featuring ...
(Updated May 20, 2013)
- Healthy Bites Newsletter
May: Beef Month
- Cook It Quick Newsletter
- Food Reflections Newsletter
December Issue: 9 Tips for Staying Active over the Winter Holidays
- Walk Nebraska Newsletter
May 2013: Healthy Recipes Easy to Find
- Making HealthierRDecisions
- Nutrition Know How Blog
(A new tip posted weekly)
- Discover Foods Blog
(a new tip posted weekly)
- Cook It Quick Blog
(published 1 -2 times/month)
- A Runner Eats
(Written by a dietitian/former Univ. of Nebraska All-American runner)
- Food, Nutrition & Health by the Month Calendar
- Food Fun for Young Kids (Pinterest)
- Easy (& Healthy!) Everyday Recipes (Pinterest)
- "Choose MyPlate" Update (video)
- 4-Day Throw Away (food safety app)
- Choose MYPlate: Selected Consumer Messages (free PowerPoint and online slide show)
- Test Your Salt Savvy (quiz)