Please see the drop-down menu under Food Topics in the top navigation bar for links to pages on other food topics.
Canning & Freezing Safely & Successfully: A Quiz
Questions or comments: Email Alice Henneman, MS, RD
Canning might be considered an art as well as a science. As such, we often want to let our creative side take over! We create our own recipes, improvise regarding equipment and supplies, and may make decisions based on half-truths.
If you’re a beginning canner or even an advanced canner, see how up-to-date you are on canning before you get out that boiling water canner or pressure canner. Or if freezing is your choice … before you start searching for freezer containers. Watch our video and take the quiz!
For more information: Check out the links below the video for added information on canning, freezing and drying (includes recipes, frequently asked questions, etc.)
NOTE: When canning foods, it is important to know your local altitude. Your altitude determines the amount of pressure (pressure canner) or time (boiling-water canner) for your food. In Nebraska, the altitude ranges in elevation from about 1,000 feet to 5,000 feet above sea level.
- To learn the altitude in your location, Click here for a map of elevations in Nebraska; or, contact your local Extension office.
- Or check with your local planning commission or zoning office, or on a webpage about your town or city.
(This video is based on peer-reviewed materials)
Quick Links to Canning, Freezing & Drying Sections
- Fruits (includes canned pie fillings)
- Tomatoes and Tomato Products (includes Salsa)
- Vegetables (includes soups)
- Meat, Poultry and Seafood
- Jams and Jellies
- Pickles and Fermented Products
- General Canning information / What You Need to Know before You Begin Canning
- Frequently Asked Canning Questions (includes troubleshooting problems with canned foods)
- Altitude / Elevation information
- Unsafe Canning Practices
- Contacting Companies about Specific Products and Equipment
- Sources of Canning Supplies (such as ClearJel®, canning equipment, etc.)