Please see the drop-down menu under Food Topics in the top navigation bar for links to pages on other food topics.
Banana Kale Smoothie
Questions or Comments? Email Author, Alice Henneman, MS, RD, Extension Educator
I didn’t think I would like drinking a kale smoothie — no matter how healthy it was — until I came up with this recipe. It tastes refreshing and minty. The banana and vanilla yogurt add sweetness. The nutrients abound: calcium, potassium, vitamin A and vitamin C, to name a few.
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 large kale leaf, torn into pieces and without thick pieces of the rib (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 ripe banana
- Approximately 4 to 6 cubes (smaller ice cubes work better)
- Add milk, then yogurt to blender.
- Next, toss in the kale.
- Break banana into chunks and add to mixture.
- Place the ice cubes on top. NOTE: If you’ve never made a smoothie with ice in your blender, check your blender instruction book or look for your manual online on the manufacturer’s website to determine if there are specific guidelines for adding ice to your blender. Some blenders may not be strong enough to break down ice cubes.
- Begin blending, starting out on a lower speed and then increasing speed. Puree until smooth.
- Enjoy immediately.
Makes 1 very large or 2 medium smoothies.
- Place liquids in a blender first. It makes it easier to start the blending process.
- To facilitate the mixing process, start at a lower speed and work your way to a higher speed as the bigger pieces get broken up.
- Baked Kale Chips (Learn the "secret" to getting a green, non-greasy baked kale chip!)