Please see the drop-down menu under Food Topics in the top navigation bar for links to pages on other food topics.
Food, Nutrition and Health by the Month
National Food Days, Weeks & Months
Kayla Colgrove, MS, RD
Contributors: Kayla Colgrove, MS, RD, UNL Extension in Gage County; Alice Henneman, MS, RD, UNL Extension in Lancaster County; and Lisa Franzen Castle, MS, RD, PhD, Panhandle Research and Extension Center.
Questions or comments? Email Kayla Colgrove, MS, RD
You are welcome to link to our calendar.
National Food Days
National Food Weeks
- Farmers Market Week (August 5 - 11)
National Food Months
- Back to School Month
- Catfish Month
- Family Meals Month
- Get Acquainted with Kiwifruit Month
- Peach Month
- Sandwich Month
Check the National Watermelon Promotion Board Web site www.watermelon.org for recipes using watermelon and tips on choosing and storing watermelons.
IMPORTANT: Wash the outside of the melon under clean running water before cutting into it, use a clean knife on a clean cutting surface and wash your own hands with soap and water before cutting the melon. Once melon is cut, it should be stored, covered, in the refrigerator. Don't leave cut melon at room temperature longer than 2 hours TOTAL time.
Currently featuring ...
(Updated December 9, 2013)
- Healthy Bites Newsletter
December: Healthy holiday party tips
- Cook It Quick Newsletter
- Food Reflections Newsletter
Holiday Tips via Pinterest
- Walk Nebraska Newsletter
December Issue: Fitting in Activity - Walking at Work
- Making HealthierRDecisions
- Nutrition Know How Blog
(A new tip posted weekly)
- Discover Foods Blog
(a new tip posted weekly)
- Cook It Quick Blog
(published 1 -2 times/month)
- Agri-Cultural with Dr. Lindsay
- Food, Nutrition & Health by the Month Calendar
- Food Fun for Young Kids (Pinterest)
- Easy (& Healthy!) Everyday Recipes (Pinterest)
- "Choose MyPlate" Update (video)
- 4-Day Throw Away (food safety app)
- Choose MYPlate: Selected Consumer Messages (free PowerPoint and online slide show)
- Test Your Salt Savvy (quiz)