UNL Emeriti Association Meeting
Tuesday, September 21, 2010
East Campus Union
11:30 am - A buffet luncheon, subsidized for all paid members was served to approximately 60 members with five brown-baggers attending.
12:00 noon - Program: President Herb Howe welcomed members and guests to the first meeting of the 2010-2011 year. He introduced, Leta Powell Drake, a long time supporter of the Salvation Army and professional performer over many years in Lincoln who presented “Red Hot and Righteous: The History of the Salvation Army.” Dressed in a traditional Salvation Army uniform of the 1890’s, she provided slides and narration of the history, development and contributions of the Salvation Army since its inception in 1865 in England. Her presentation was both informative and entertaining as she generated appreciation for the work of this group in the past and present. Her presentation can be found on the Emeriti web page.
12: 45 pm - Business Meeting - Herb Howe, President, convened the business meeting.
a. Name tags were provided today and should be left after the meeting on the outside table.
b. A flyer for an OLLI fund-raising event, “Enchanted Evening” invites all to an evening of dancing Saturday, October 23, 2010, East Union Ballroom, UNL.
2. Memory Moments were held for: Prof. Peter Worth, Art and Art History;
Prof. David Hamnett, Special Education and Communications Disorders; Prof. Gayle Halton, Extension; Prof. Norman Schneider, Verterinary Science; Prof. Werner Leinfeller, Philosophy; and Prof. James Cole, Psychology.
3. Minutes - Delivee Wright, Secretary, reminded members that all Meeting and Board Minutes are available online at the Emeriti site. Minutes of the April 22nd meeting were distributed to each table. They were approved as posted.
4. Treasurer’s Report - Agnes Adams, Treasurer, reviewed the current financial status of the organization. (See addendum). The treasurer’s report was accepted.
1. AROHE Conference - Herb Howe reported that he and Dan Wheeler will be attending the AROHE meeting in October 2010.
2. Membership - Mel Thornton, Membership Chair, reported that only dues paying members will be listed on the Emeriti website. He reported that the dues will be increased in January 2011 and anyone interested in a Life membership should consider it now as it will go from $100 to $200 in January. He distributed a report of the numbers of members in each category as follows:
202 Annual Members (3 yrs/$25); 159 Life Members ($100 currently going to $200, tax deductible contribution to the Emeriti Association Fund at the NU Foundation); 36 new members through 2010 (complementary); 14 new members through 2011 (complementary); 136 Surviving Spouse Members (complementary); 547 Active Members (annual, life, new and spouse); and 262 Inactive Members (unpaid or no complementary dues).; total 809 in database.
3. Change in Membership Definition: At the April 22, 2010, meeting, a proposed change in the Bylaws was presented to the membership as follows:
Current Wording: Membership shall consist of dues paying emeriti of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and dues paying collegial members.
Membership shall consist of: a. dues paying UNL retired academic-administrative personnel (Regents Bylaws 3.1.1 ) who have been granted emerita/us status, b. surviving spouses/partners, and c. dues paying collegial members.
This change was approved unanimously.
1. Nominations Committee Report was made by Lowell Moser, Chair. The proposed slate for 2011-2012 is:
Jack Goebel, for Vice-President and President-Elect
Bob Kuzelka, for Board Member
Other names may be submitted by the membership for inclusion on the ballot as long as the nominated person agrees to serve if elected. Names may be added until October 20, 2010.
The election will take place in November.
2. Herb Howe reported that the UNL Emeriti Association has been invited to membership in the Big Ten Retiree Association. This will be discussed by the Board in regard to its relationship to AROHE membership.
Member Relations: Kay Rockwell reported that the New Emeriti Coffee Group has changed its name to Emeriti Coffee Group and extend invitations to any interested Emeriti; however, new Emeriti will receive free coffee while others pay for their own.
Faculty Senate: Jim McShane sent a report that the Senate is working on issues related to:
reapportion of faculty work loads, health insurance for retirees, and conflict of interest for UNL administrators.
Web Site: Jim Kendrick reported that all information generated by the Association can be found on our web site www.emeriti.unl.edu
Wisherd Fund: Bob Diffendal reported an announcement calling for proposals for Wisherd Funds has been mailed to all by land mail and by email. An incorrect address was used; however the campus zip code is correct so it should get to the proper destination.
Motion: Walter Mientka moved to send the following message to Mr. Clarey Castner, Director of NU Foundation from Herb Howe President, UNL Emeriti Association
I write to inform you that at its September 21, 2010, meeting, the members of the UNL Emeriti Association unanimously passed the following resolution:
The Members send their appreciation to the University of Nebraska Foundation for the invitation they received for the September 9, 2010 Foundation Luncheon. They were pleased with the delightful reception and excellent program.
The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
Next Emeriti Meeting is Thursday, October 21, 2010, The program is Assoc. Prof. Larkin Powell, UNL School of Natural Resources, Can We All Live Together: Lessons from the African Namibia Experience?
Meeting was adjourned at 1:10 pm.
Delivee Wright, Secretary
Treasurer’s Report: as of July 31, 2010 (Agnes Adams, Treasurer)
Maude Wisherd Fund
Book value $55,163.83
Market value $127,559.96
Emeriti Association Fund 1,973.00
Estimate Annual Income 6,876.00
University Cost Center
Expenses 1,825.24 (includes catering, infoservices, & copy center)
Deposits 2,110.24 (transf. fm. WF for $1,825.24 + $360 Apr. Lunch)
Wells Fargo Checking Account
Balance carryover 4,044.03 (Ck from Cornhusker Bank acct to Wells Fargo)
Deposits 500.00 (4 Life Mbrsps + $100 final close fm. Cornhusker Bk)
Expenses 2,268.92 (Checks written for the following: $214.64 Kay Rockwell, 5 NEC’s
126.05 Herb Howe, badges & lanyards
19.26 Awards Unlimited, Display case plaque
72.72 Jim Kendrick, tapes for history proj.
1,825.24 UNL Bursar, Bal due on 5-30-10 invoice
11.01 Jim McShane, stamps/envelopes)