UNL Emeriti Association Meeting
Tuesday, April 19, 2012
East Campus Union
A luncheon was served to approximately 64 members with 2 brown baggers attending.
Program: Allen Blezek, Vice-President, introduced Doug Ahlberg, Director, Emergency Preparedness System for Lincoln/Lancaster County, who spoke on the topic of “Natural Disasters and Lincoln’s Emergency Preparedness System.” He provided visuals and handouts that described the resources organized for communication and response to a variety of possible disasters such as tornadoes, blizzards, droughts, or flooding. He explained how these resources had been acquired and ways this program collaborates with State and Federal agencies with the same mission. He encouraged all to have an emergency alert radio. A question/answer period followed. Vice-President Blezek thanked Director Ahlberg and presented him with an Emeriti Mug.
Business Meeting – Jack Goebel, President, convened the business meeting at 12:50 pm
Memory Moments: Robert Anderson, Philosophy; Richard E. Bradley, Dentistry;
Eunice Beran, Extension; Judy Driskell, Nutrition; Tom Leisy, 4H Youth Development;
Mabel Skjlver, Textiles; Robert McDougal, Engineering; John Orr, 4H Youth Development; Wallace Peterson, Economics; and Robert Fuller, Physics and Astronomy, who had served as President of this Association.
Minutes of past meetings and Treasurer’s reports are available online at the Emeriti website.
Items of Interest
1. Joan Giesecke, Dean of Libraries and the NU Foundation have invited Emeriti faculty and Friends of the Library to a special event in the Love Library Study Room, where rare historical and literary documents from the Allen Dayton, Collection and the Library will be displayed. This is a limited event and will include: a Martin Luther King Diary, documents related to Queen Elizabeth I, Napoleon, Gandi, World War II, and others. It will be Thursday, May 10, 2012, 5:30-7:30 pm with light Hors d’oeuvres being served. RSVP at 402-458-1135 by May 3.
2. New Collegial Members were introduced including:
Will Haase, Emeritus of Argosy University sponsored by Robert Kuzelka, and Robert and Mame Chambers, Emeritus of Southern Methodist University, sponsored by Lowell Moser.
3. Doug Zatechka has identified two additional benefits for Emeriti: Receiving the Alumni Association Magazine, and Parking at the Omaha Airport. Details are on the Emeriti web page.
4. Emeriti were invited to suggest ideas for future discussion items.
5. Bob Kuzelka, Chair, invited participation in the “Coffee Chat” to be held Tuesday, April 24, 2012, at 9:30 am in the Courtyard between 8th and 9th Streets on P Street.
6. By request, President Goebel announced a Birthday Open House for Hink Sahs at the Landing, 2:00-4:00 pm, April 28, 2012.
The President’s Luncheon for NU Retirees will be Tuesday, May 15, 2012, at Embassy Suites at 11:30 am.
The next Emeriti Luncheon Meeting will be in September.
Meeting adjourned at 1:00 pm for continuation of socializing.
Submitted by: Delivee Wright, Secretary