| || |
Professor of Animal Science
Director: Institutional Animal Care Program
Office of Research Responsibility, UNL
110 Mussehl Hall
Lincoln, NE 68583-0702
- Ph.D. - 1976 - University of Wisconsin - Muscle Biology & Human Physiology
- M.S. - 1974 - University of Wisconsin - Animal Science
- B.S. - 1971 - Iowa State University - Animal Science
- Department Head - 1999-2007 - University of Nebraska-Lincoln - Animal Science
- Professor - 1993-1999 - Cornell University - Animal Science & Food Science
- Associate Professor - 1984-1993 - Cornell University - Animal Science & Food Science
- Visiting Scientist Sabbatical - 1985 - Rowett Res. Institute - Protein Metabolism
- Assistant Professor - 1978-1984 - Cornell University - Animal Science & Food Science
- Postdoctoral Fellow - 1977-1978 - University of Wisconsin - Neurophysiology
- Postdoctoral Fellow - 1976-1977 - University of Wisconsin - Muscle protein Chemistry
AWARDS & HONORS
- 2007 - Nebraska Cattlemen Industry Service Award
- 2004 - Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society
- 2002 - Signal Service Award, American Meat Science Association
- 2000 - Trout Invited Lecturer, Michigan State University
- 1999 - Honorary Fellow, American Association for Advancement of Science
- 1996 - Distinguished Research Award, American Meat Science Association
- 1995 - Invited Lectureship Nutritional Sciences Council, Iowa State University
- 1989 - Wise Burroughs Invited Lecturer, Iowa State University
- President, Sigma Xi, Nebraska Chapter, 2008-2009
- President, Phi Beta Delta International Scholars Society, Nebraska Chapter, 2004
- President Federation of Animal Science Societies (FASS), 2002
- President American Society of Animal Science, 2000
- N.E. Director, American Society of Animal Science, 1995-1998
- Program Secretary, American Society of Animal Science, 1996
- Director American meat Science Association 1987-1989
- Partners of the Americas Member, present
- CSREES Department Program Review Team Member
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETY MEMBERSHIPS
- American Association for Laboratory Animal Science
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Society of Animal Science
- American Meat Science Association
- American Registry of Professional Animal Scientists
- Council of Agricultural Science and Technology
- Charter Diplomat - American College of Animal Food Science
- Gamma Sigma Delta
PUBLICATIONS AND OTHER SCHOLARLY WORK
- 55 Refereed Journal Articles
- 113 Abstracts
- 16 Books or Chapters
- 15 Symposia Proceedings
- 8 Press Articles
- FIPSE Study Tour to Mexico, August 2004
- Study tour to Sechuan Agricultural University and Tibetan College of Agriculture and Animal Husbandry, 2001
- Sicarne International Beef Symposium: Invited lecture "Understanding and Influencing the Biology of Cattle Growth", Veracruz, Mexico, 2000
- Lectures and seminars Nanjing Agricultural University, 1999
- Collaboration in Sustainable Agriculture and Development in China Workshop Shanghai, China, 1997, 1998
- International Workshop on Agricultural Biotechnology, Piracicaba, Brazil, 1997
Research interests include the regulation of metabolic and cellular aspects of skeletal muscle growth, the regulation of nutrient partitioning and animal growth, and the physiology and biochemistry of muscle as a food. Research experience with cattle, swine, sheep and rats. Extensive experience with metabolism modifiers to include cattle implants, synthetic beta-adrenergic agonists and somatotropin.
- Beermann, D.H. and F.R. Dunshae. 2005. Animal Agriculture's Future Through Biotechnology, Part 3: Metabolic Modifiers for Animal Production. ISSN 1070-0021, 30:1-12, Council of Agricultural Science and Technology, Ames, Iowa.
- Beermann, D.H. Beta-adrenergic receptor agonist modulation of skeletal muscle growth. J. Anim. Sci. 80 (E. Suppl. 1):18-23, 2002.
- Moloney, A.P., D.H. Beermann, D. Gerard, T.F. Robinson, K.D. Finnerty, and J.M. Elliot. Temporal pattern of change in nitrogen balance, circulating IGF-I concentrations and skeletal muscle IGF-I mRNA abundance in growing steers receiving abomasal infusion of casein. J. Anim. Sci. 76:1380-1388, 1998.
- Byrem, T.M., D.H. Beermann and T.F. Robinson. The beta-agonist cimaterol directly enhances chronic protein accretion in skeletal muscle. J. Anim. Sci. 76:988-998, 1998.
- Byrem, T.M., D.H. Beermann and T.F. Robinson. Characterization of dose-dependent metabolic responses to close arterial infusion of cimaterol in the hindlimb of steers. J. Anim. Sci. 74:2907-2916, 1996.
- Thiel, L.F., D.H. Beermann, B.J. Krick and R.D. Boyd. Dose-dependent effects of exogenous porcine somatotropin on the yield, distribution, and proximate composition of carcass tissues in growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 71:827-835. 1993.
- Beermann, D.H ., T.F. Robinson, T.M. Byrem, D.E. Hogue, A.W. Bell and C.L. McLaughlin. Abomasal casein infusion and exogenous somatotropin enhance nitrogen utilization by growing lambs. J. Nutr. 121:2020-2028. 1991.
- Beermann, D.H., D.E. Hogue, V.K. Fishell, S. Aronica, H.W. Dickson and B.R. Schricker. Exogenous human growth hormone releasing factor and ovine somatotropin improve growth performance and composition of gain in lambs. J. Anim. Sci. 68:4122-4133. 1990.
- Beermann, D.H ., V.K. Fishell, K. Roneker, R.D. Boyd, G. Armbruster and L. Souza. Dose-response relationships between porcine somatotropin, muscle composition, muscle fiber characteristics and pork quality. J. Anim. Sci. 68:2690-2697. 1990.