Articles of Interest
Irrigated Corn Achieves High Yields with High Energy Efficiency, Little Impact on Environment - Jan. 2012 CropWatch Article
Also check out: Hybrid Maize Model-a computer program that simulates the growth of a corn crop (Zea mays L.) under non-limiting or water-limited (rainfed or irrigated) conditions based on daily weather data.
Check out the completely redone Corn Growth and Development publication from Iowa State University Extension! Updated information for today's hybrids and excellent graphics.
How Extended High Heat Disrupts Corn Pollination - Aug. 2011 CropWatch Article. Dr. Tom Hoegemeyer explains the conditions that affect pollen shed and viability in corn during high heat and high relative humidity.
Corn Nitrogen Recommendations Calculator - Excel sheet to determine recommended UNL nitrogen rates from soil tests.
- Most Comprehensive Genetic Analysis of Corn to Date
- Surviving High Costs of Input Crop Production
- Corn Supply and Utilization in the United States, 2000-2004 (*PDF 1.27 MB; 79 pages) The supply and utilization of corn in the U.S. at the state level was estimated taking into account animal feeding, food, industrial and seed use, stock holding and exports. Net surplus and deficit state-level data were summarized. Also included were foreign country imports and exports.
- An Economic Overview of Ethanol Co-product Utilization in Nebraska (EC858)
- 2009 Corn Production by County and Location of Ethanol Plants in Nebraska Source-NASS 2010
*PDF document requires Acrobat Reader. Download free from Adobe Web site
Questions/Comments about the CropWatch Corn site? Please contact Jenny Rees, UNL Extension Educator in Clay County.
2013 Corn CropWatch Articles
- Bee Kill Reaffirms Need to Follow Pesticide Label Warnings
- Managing Spider Mites in Corn and Soybean Part 2: Thresholds & Treatments
- Managing Spider Mites in Corn and Soybean Part 1: Identifying Damage and Species
- Drought, Heat, and Potential Effects on Corn Pollination
- Corn Disease Update: Southern Rust Confirmed in Southern Nebraska
- Market Journal: Goss's Wilt Presence
- Hail and Fungicides Update 2013
- Avoid Insurance Applications of Insecticides in Corn and Soybeans
- Using Your Irrigation Flow Meter for Better Decision Making
- Farmland Values in Nebraska Panhandle up 13% from Last Year
- Irrigation Meter Calculator
- Japanese Beetles or False Japanese Beetles?
- Goss’s Wilt in Scattered Areas across Southern Nebraska
- Begin Scouting for Western Bean Cutworm Eggs
- Watch For Armyworms in Eastern Nebraska
- Scouting for Stalk Borers
- Scouting for Corn Rootworm Larvae and Treating Postemergence
- Control of Glyphosate-Resistant Volunteer Soybeans in Corn
- How Corn and Soybean Yields Fared in 2012 in Nebraska
- Vector Spray App Can Help Reduce Drift
- Glyphosate Resistant Common Waterhemp in Nebraska
- Pre-plant and Pre-emergence Weed Control
- Biostimulants/Biofertilizers: Buyer Beware
- ACRE or DCP?
- Shallow Corn Planting Can Hinder Root Development
- Don't Till Wet Soils
- Precision Ag Technology Tuneups
- Reduced Row Spacing and Yield
- Market Journal App
- How Tillage and Crop Residue Affect Irrigation Requirements
- Corn Growers Sought for On-Farm Research Network
- On-Farm Research Sugar Applications to Corn and Soybean
- Survey: Corn Populations Unchanged for More than Half
- No-till Planting Tips for a Dry Year
- Regular Pivot Maintenance for Application Efficiency
- Evaluating the use of Pre-season Irrigation
- On-Farm Grower Research on Corn Planting Dates
- Is Population Change Warranted in Irrigated Corn due to Moisture Constraints?
- Maturity Range Effects on Seasonal Evapotranspiration
- Spring Showers Welcome-not likely to Eliminate Deficit
- Pre-Season Irrigation Checkup can Reduce In-Season Problems
- Prepare for the Coming Pesticide Application Season
- DriftWatch Identifies Nearby Sensitive Crops
- Yield Potential Predictions to Help Global Food Security
- 53 Updated Nebraska Crop Budgets
- Managing Stored Drought-Stressed Corn in Early Spring
- Market Journal Looks at Farm Program Payments and Ethanol Production
- Understanding Soil Microbes May Improve Erosion
- Land Booms, Bubbles, and Busts
- Deficit Irrigation Presentations Online
- Dry Year Water Management in Republican Basin
- Uganda Work to Make Fertilizer Use More Profitable
- Lady Beetle Diet Influences Effectiveness as Biocontrol Agent
- Market Journal: Select Corn Seed to Manage Disease Risk
- 2013 Guide for Weed Management
- Using a Chlorophyll Meter to Improve N Management
- Micronutrient Management in Nebraska
Corn is an economically important crop to Nebraska resulting in $9.1 billion from 9.1 million acres harvested in 2012 according to USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service.
- Nebraska ranks 3rd in U.S. corn production.
- Nebraska ranks 1st in U.S. popcorn production.
- Nebraska ranks 1st in U.S. white corn production.
- Nebraska ranks 2nd in ethanol production capacity.