The primary research objectives are to conduct theoretically-based, problem-solving investigations in anticipation of, rather than in response to, issues and concerns in the areas of:
- Biomedical engineering
- Bioprocess engineering for adding value
- Environmental engineering
- Site-specific crop management
- Water resources and ecosystems engineering
|The specific objectives for biomedical engineering:|
- Apply engineering skills to problems in medicine and biology resulting in reduced morbidity, lower healthcare costs, and enhanced quality of life.
- Develop tools and technologies to (1) aid in diagnosis of disease, and (2) monitor physiology and health, with minimum effect to healthy tissues.
- Develop bioimagery and biosignal systems to quantify cardiovascular function.
|The specific objectives for bioprocess engineering for adding value:|
- Continue to develop and disseminate food and biopolymer processing technologies using starches, proteins and lipids.
- Synthesis of biochemicals and biomaterials.
- Process operation models for safety and efficiency.
- Process development to support new or improved products.
|The specific objectives for environmental engineering:|
- Enhance sustainability of rural communities through improved environmental infrastructure systems for drinking water supplies, wastewater treatment, and solid waste management.
- Development of new tools and techniques that utilize site specific, imprecise and subjective information in measurement, design, analysis, and management of environmental systems.
- Development of new odor measurement systems that are able to respond to odors in a manner similar to human response.
- Conduct research and deliver educational programs that respond to the needs of rural community leaders, industrial decision makers, public and private agencies and service providers, and public policy makers.
|The specific objectives for site-specific crop management:|
- Develop methods to use non-intrusive sensors and control systems.
- Define agronomic processes, engineering design,and management criteria
- Develop accurate, precise and responsive equipment systems.
- Develop decision support tools which utilize real-time information on soil, plant, machinery management databases, and weather and economic forecasting to enhance profitability, carbon sequestration, and environmental protection.
- Continue to build partnerships with industry to develop site-specific tools and implement their use through educational programs and industrial partnerships.
- Foster a multi-disciplinary programs that develop engineered and agronomic solutions.
|The specific objectives for water resources and ecosystems engineering:|
- Protection of ground and surface water resources from fertilizer, pesticides, sediment, and organic residues to assure high quality water for society's needs.
- Enhancement of the efficiency of water use by matching cultural operations and irrigation water applications to field conditions and variability, water supply constraints, and economic situations.
- Reuse and recovery of solid, hazardous, and organic residues to sustain and protect environmental resources.