The Beef Basics program started in 1993 and was designed for beef producers, feed consultants and veterinarians wanting to learn more about beef production. Since then, more than 5,500 individuals from more than 40 states have used the Beef Basics courses to further their education.
The courses are written by extension educators, extension specialists, producers and veterinarians and are producer-reviewed before being introduced to the public.
Profit - the Bottom Line
Participants have estimated that they would save over $16 per cow using the management and production ideas presented in the Home Study Courses.
Purpose of the Courses
These courses are designed to assist you in making management decisions for improving profitability. They offer an opportunity to sharpen your cow/calf management skills without a large time commitment away from the office or home. You can learn within the comfort of your own home or office.
Many beef producers, veterinarians, and agribusiness people find it difficult to attend distant educational seminars. This course will allow you to expand your cow/calf management knowledge within the comfort of your home or office. Your involvement will be encouraged through answering questions on the lesson quizzes. After completing a lesson, participants take a short quiz, which is graded and returned by the extension educators.
Understand Your Business
It is important that you, as a beef producer, have confidence, competence, and direction to be a successful livestock producer. You will need to capitalize on your own unique resources and skills.
Comments from Past Participants
- "Taking the Beef Home Study courses is an excellent way to improve management skills to increase beef production and reduce costs."
- "Your home study courses are the best we've seen and the only ones from the point of view of the cow/calf rancher."
- "They've taken a lot of the 'mystery' out of beef production."
- "These courses are excellent educational tools."
- "Would I recommend it? You bet!"
Beef Cattle Production
- Cow-calf, Bull and Heifer Nutrition and Management
- Breeding, Genetics & Reproduction
- Backgrounding, Yearling and Feedlot Nutrition and Management
- Forage, Pasture & Range Management
- By-Product Feeds
- Beef Forage Crops Systems
- Herd Health
- Beef Product and Quality Assurance
- Marketing and Livestock Budgets