Understanding and Management of Feed Loss: Managing Feed Shrink in Feedlots
November 20, 2012
Dr. Dan Loy
Beef Extension Specialist & Iowa Beef Center Director
Iowa State University
Prices for commodities, hay and other feed stuffs have doubled or tripled in value over the last few years. These increases have magnified the cost of feed loss in storage and feeding.
In this webinar, Dr. Dan Loy, Extension Beef Specialist with Iowa State University, addresses options producers have to reduce these losses.
View the Webinar (25:42)
(opens in new window or tab, depending on your browser setting)
Dr. Loy also wrote a paper outlining how and where feed loss occurs in hauling, storage and feeding. Good management practices can reduce these losses and improve efficiency of feed utilization. For more information please see “Feed Management — Bunker to Bunk” (PDF 262KB).
Beef Cattle Production
- Cow-calf, Bull and Heifer Nutrition and Management
- Breeding, Genetics & Reproduction
- Backgrounding, Yearling and Feedlot Nutrition and Management
- Forage, Pasture & Range Management
- By-Product Feeds
- Beef Forage Crops Systems
- Herd Health
- Beef Product and Quality Assurance
- Marketing and Livestock Budgets