Associate Professor, Biological Systems Engineering
Lincoln, NE 68583-0726
- Ph.D. 1997 - Michigan State University - Agricultural Engineering
- M.S. 1988 - University of Wisconsin - Agricultural Engineering
- B.S. 1985 - University of Wisconsin - Agricultural Engineering
PREVIOUS POSITIONS HELD
- Instructor, Assistant Professor - Food, Agricultural & Biological Engineering, Ohio State University (1996-2000)
- Consultant - Self-Employed(1994-1995)
AWARDS & HONORS
- National Pork Board Swine Innovation Award for multi-state Extension program The Ventilation System: Your Unseen Employee
- ASAE Educational Aids Blue Ribbons (2001, 1995)
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETY MEMBERSHIPS
- ASAE, American Society of Agricultural Engineers
- SE-301 (environmental physiology); SE-302 (controlled environment for animal structures); SE-403 (dairy housing)
- ASEE, American Society of Engineering Education
- NACTA, North American College Teachers in Agriculture
- MWPS, Midwest Plan Service, representative and member Executive Committee
- Animal Housing Systems
- Heat Stress Abatement
- Environmental Enhancement
- Control of Odor and Gas Emissions
- Stowell , R. R. Approved for funding 11/2006. Air Quality Extension and Education: Enhanced Learning Opportunities for Addressing Air Quality Issues in Animal Agriculture. USDA NRI Integrated programs, Proposal #2006-04721; $498,562 for 3 years.
- Stowell , R. R., C. Henry, D. Schulte, and R. Koelsch. Funded 2006. Odor Footprint Tool Demonstration: Assisting Rural Communities in Maintaining Air Quality, Nebraska Environmental Trust Fund, Project 06-166; $158,700 for 3 years.
- Stowell , R. R., C. Henry, D. Schulte, R. Koelsch, and D. Billesbach. Funded 2006. Facilitating the Use of the Odor Footprint Tool by Nebraska Pork Producers. National Pork Board, Project #06-141, as approved by the Nebraska Pork Producers Association; $32,000 for 18 months.
- Stowell , R. R., C. Henry, D. Schulte, R. Koelsch, and L. Koppolu. Funded 2004. Laying the Groundwork for Odor Control and Setback Estimation in Nebraska; National Pork Board, Project #04-180, as approved by the Nebraska Pork Producers Association; $30,600 for 2 years.
- Stowell , R. R., and R. Koelsch. Funded 2004. Limiting Risk for Odor Complaints through Site Evaluation and Use of other Appropriate Technologies; National Pork Board Educational Grant; $2,500 for 6 months.
- Erickson, G., D. Schulte and R. Stowell. Funded 2002. Science-Based Air Quality Data for the Beef Cattle Feedlot Industry and Rural Communities in Nebraska, ARD Interdisciplinary Grant, NEB-13-155; $19,500/year for two years from USDA-CRIS.
- Stowell , R., and M. Brumm; Funded 2002. Zone Heating for Wean-to-Finish Facilities: A Performance Comparison, National Pork Board, Project #02-194, as approved by the Nebraska Pork Producers Association; $6,525 for 15 months.
- Stowell , R. R., D. D. Schulte, R. K. Koelsch, and Chris Henry. 2006. Odor Footprint Tool progress: Regional output resources. 2006 Nebraska Swine Report, EC219 p. 15-21. Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of Nebraska - Lincoln.
Stowell , R. R., L. Koppolu, D. D. Schulte, and R. K. Koelsch. 2005. Applications of Using the Odor Footprint Tool. In proceedings: Livestock Environment VII, Proceedings of the Seventh International Livestock Environment Symposium, Ed. T. Brown-Brandl and R. G. Maghirang, p. 496-503. ASAE, St. Joseph, MI.
Stowell , R., and C. Henry. 2004. The economic impacts of various public-policy scenarios for methane recovery on dairy farms. 2003-2004 Nebraska Dairy Report, p. 6-9. Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of Nebraska - Lincoln.
Stowell , R., S. Colgan, and M. Brumm. 2004. Thermal conditions within pens fitted with differing zone-heating options and resulting performance of newly weaned pigs in a wean-to-finish facility. 2004 Nebraska Swine Report, p. 34-39. Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of Nebraska - Lincoln.
Stowell , R. R., C. A. Gooch, and W. G. Bickert. 2003. Design Parameters for Hot-Weather Ventilation of Dairy Housing: A Critical Review. In: Proceedings of Fifth International Dairy Housing Conference. ASAE, St. Joseph, MI.
Gooch, C. A., and R. R. Stowell. 2003. Tunnel Ventilation for Freestall Facilities – Design, Environmental Conditions, Cow Behavior, and Economics. In: Proceedings of Fifth International Dairy Housing Conference. ASAE, St. Joseph, MI.
H. Sun, R. R. Stowell, H. M. Keener, and F. C. Michel. 2002. Two-dimensional computational fluid dynamics (CFD) modeling of air velocity and ammonia distribution in a High-rise™ hog building. Transactions of the ASAE 45(5): 1559-1568.
Keener, H. M., D. L. Elwell, T. A. Menke, and R. R. Stowell. 2001. Design and performance of a High-rise™ hog facility manure drying bed. Applied Engineering in Agriculture 17(5): 703-709.
Stowell , R.R., H. Keener, D. Elwell, T. Menke, and S. Foster. 2001. High-rise Ô hog facility. In: Livestock Environment VI, Proceedings of the Sixth International Symposium, p.273-282. ASAE, St. Joseph, MI.
Stowell , R.R., C.A. Gooch, and S. Inglis. 2001. Performance of tunnel ventilation for freestall dairy facilities as compared to natural ventilation with supplemental cooling fans. In: Livestock Environment VI, Proceedings of the Sixth International Symposium, p.29-40. ASAE, St. Joseph, MI.
Stowell , R.R., R. Bucklin, and R.W. Bottcher (Editors). 2001. Livestock Environment VI, Proceedings of the Sixth International Symposium. ASAE, St. Joseph, MI.
Bickert, W. G., B. Holmes, K. Janni, D. Kammel, R. Stowell, and J. Zulovich. 2000. Dairy Freestall Housing and Equipment, MWPS-7, Seventh Edition. Midwest Plan Service, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011.
Stowell , R. R., H. Keener, D. Elwell, T. Menke, and S. Foster . 2000. High-Rise ä Hog Facility. In: Proceedings of the International Swine Housing Conference. ASAE, St. Joseph, MI 49085.
- Stowell , R.R., H. Keener, D. Elwell, T. Menke, and S. Inglis. 2000. Indoor air quality and pig performance within a High-rise ä hog facility. In: Swine Housing, Proceedings of the First International Conference, p.741-748. ASAE, St. Joseph, MI.
Other Useful links
Title: Rick Stowell's Biological System's Engineering Webpage