Kathleen P. Anderson, PhD
Associate Professor/Equine Extension Horse Specialist
Teaching (50%); Extension (50%)
Department of Animal Science
C204d Animal Science
University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE 68583-0908
- Ph.D. Animal Science Kansas State University, 1991
- M.S. Physiology of Reproduction Texas A&M University, 1987
- B.S. Animal Science/Agricultural Education University of Nebraska, 1981
- Associate Professor at University of Nebraska-Lincoln (1991-present)
- Assistant Instructor at Kansas State University (Jan 1987 - May 1987)
- Graduate Assistant at Texas A&M University (Jan 1986 - December 1986)
Honors and Awards Received
- 2011 - Equine Science Society Outstanding Educator Award
- 2011 - IANR Holling Family Senior Teaching Excellence Award
- 2011 - Joint Council of Extension Professionals 2011 Excellence in Teamwork Award
- 2010 - eXtension HorseQuest Leadership Team - USDA's National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) Partnership Award (HorseQuest Chair)
- 2009 - HorseQuest Community of Practice - 1st National eXtension Outstanding CoP Award (HorseQuest Chair) (2009)
- 2009 - HorseQuest Community of Practice and My Horse University. National University Telecommunications Network, Shirley Davis Award of Excellence in Synchronous Distance Learning (HorseQuest Chair) (2009)
- 2008 - Nebraska Horse Council Equine Honoree (2008)
- 2008 - Horse Quest Community of Practice eXtension website - 2008 Communication Award – National Association of County Agricultural Agents (Vice – Chair) (2008)Nebraska Horse Council: Horsemen of the year (2008)
- 2008 - President of American Youth Horse Council (2008)
- 1996 - Nominated for ASUN Outstanding Teacher of the Year Award (1996)
- 1995 - Outstanding New Extension Employee Award (1995)
- 1995 - Recognition for Contributions to Students Award - Parents Association and UNL Teaching Council: (1995)
- 1992 - Recognition for Contributions to Students Award - Parents Association and UNL Teaching Council (1992)
Professional Society Memberships
- American Registry of Professional Animal Scientist-Horse Specialization
- American Society of Animal Science
- American Youth Horse Council
- Equine Science Society
- Equine Nutrition and Physiology Society
- National Horse Judging Team Coaches Association
- Nebraska Cooperative Extension Association
- American Quarter Horse Association
- Nation Snaffle Bit Association
- American Paint Horse Association
- eXtension - Horse Quest
- 4-H Horse Program
- Equine Science work group/ Equine producer education
- Youth Horse Programs Work Group
- ASCI 450: Horse Management
Summary: Several areas of horse production and management are covered in this course including conformation, health care, reproduction, nutrition, facilities, etc. This is primarliy a lecture course; however, several "hands-on" laboratories have been added, including semen collection and evaluation, body condition scoring, use of weight tapes, and vulva conformation evaluation, excercise physiology, evaluating a nutritional program, health care practices, hoof care, and lameness evaluation.
- ASCI 322: Equine Nutrition
Semester: Fall and Spring (odd numbered calendar years)
Summary: This is an in depth study of nutrition of the horse including both basic digestive physiology plus up-to-date information on nutritional management for all classes of horses. The course is taught by both lecture and group projects.
- ASCI 342: Equine Reproduction
Semester: Spring of even numbered years
Summary: This course provides students with a focused study of reproduction, specific to the horse. Estrous detection systems, artificial and natural breeding techniques, infertility, semen collection and processing, reproductive management and record keeping are covered.
- ASCI 311A: Horse Industry Study Tour
Summary: Study tour of the equine industry to provide an understanding of the industry's operations and current trends. A combination of breeding, training, associations, veterinary facilities, etc. will be toured.
- ANSC 300E: Principles of Horse Evaluation and Judging: The Basics of evaluating horses for conformation and performance are introduced. Every effort is made to incorporate live classes; however, videotapes are used extensively to allow students to evaluate a wide range of events. The most current industry trends and issues are presented.
- ANSC 400E: Advanced Horse Evaluation and Judging: This course makes up the UNL Horse Judging team that competes at two national intercollegiate contests each fall.
Referred Journal Articles
- Anderson, K.P. and L. Karr-Lilienthal, 2011, Team Members Perceptions of Benefits of Participation on an University Equestrian team NACTA Jour - accepted.
- Anderson, K.P. and L. Karr-Lilienthal. 2011. Non-Riding 4-H Horse Contest Participants Demonstrate Increased Knowledge and Life Skill Development. Jour. Of Ext- accepted.
- Greene, E.A, A.S Griffin, J. Whittle, C.A. Williams, A.B. Howard and, K.P. Anderson. 2010. Development and usage of eXtenison’s HorseQuest: an on-line learning resource. J. Anim. Sci. 88:2829-2837.
- Anderson, K.P. 2009. Undergraduate horse industry study tour enhances experiential learning. NACTA Jour 53:18-22.
- Anderson K., E.A. Greene, and K. Martinson. 2011. "Assessing the Impact and Usefulness of eXtension Horses (HorseQuest)". J. of Equine Vet. Science. 31:5-6 346-346. (Extended Abstract).
- Bauman, J.M. and K.P. Anderson. 2011. "Using action research to develop on online horseless horse learning lesson. J. of Equine Vet. Science. 31:5-6 354-355 (Extended Abstract).
- Anderson, K.P. 2010. Undergraduate equine courses enhance former students' professional careers. Proc. National Association of Equine Affiliated Academics. Cazenovia, NY. p. 47.
- Anderson, K. 2009. A satellite horse conference impacts the horse industry and university recruitingk J. Equine Vet. Science. 29:5 469-470. (Extended abstract).
- Greene, E.A., J.L. Whittle, A.S. Griffin, C.H. Woodm, K. Anderson and C.A. Williams. 2009. Using web 2.0 technology (youTube) to reach extension clientele. J. Equine Vet. Science 29:5 439-440. (Extended abstract).
- Anderson, K.P. 2009. Dealing with Unwanted Horses in Nebraska. NebGuide G1966.
- Anderson, K.P. 2008. Housing for Horses: Flooring for Stalls, NebGuide G1876. Revised July, 2008.
- Anderson, K. P. 2008. Winter Care for Horses,. NebGuide G1873, Revised July, 2008.
- Anderson, K.P. 2008. West Nile Virus: Guidelines for Horse Owners. NebGuide G1877 Revised August, 2008.
- Anderson, K.P. 2008. Basics of Feeding Horses: What to Feed and Why. NebGuide G1875. Revised July, 2008.
- Anderson, K.P. 2008. The Foaling Mare. NebGuide, G1874. Revised July, 2008.
- Anderson, K.P. 2008. Feeding and care of orphaned foal. NebGuide 1872, Revised July, 2008.
- Anderson, K.P. 2007. Selecting the "Right" Horse for Youth or Adults. NebGuide G04-1540-A. Revised September 2007.
- Anderson, K.P. 2007. Basics of Feeding Horses: Reading the Feed Tag. NebGuide G00-1403-A. Revised September 2007.
- Anderson, K.P. 2007. Basics of Feeding Horses: Feeding Management. NebGuide G98-1344-A. Revised September 2007.
- Anderson, K.P. 2005. Vesicular Stomatitis in Horses. NebGuide. G1609-A.
- Anderson, K.P. 2003. West Nile Virus: Guidelines for Horse Owners. NebFact NF02-545 Revised April 2003.
- Anderson, K.P. and K. Koch. 2009. Impact of Nebraska 4-H Non-Riding Horse Contests.
- Anderson, K.P. 2009. eXtension’s HorseQuest – An on-line resource for Horse Producers.
- Anderson, K.P. 2008. Nebraska Horse Conference has positive impact on horse industry and UNL recruiting.
- Anderson, K.P. 2007. Horse Project Advancement Levels Clinics for Horse Leaders.
- Anderson, K.P. 2007. Horse Project Advancement Levels Clinics for Horse Leaders.
- Anderson, K.P. 2007. New Horse Owners Benefit from Equestrian Academy
- Anderson, K.P. 2007. Impact of District 4-H Horse Shows on Youth Development
- Anderson, K.P. 2007. Horse Leaders Workshops Provide Training to Horse Clubs State-wide
- Anderson, K.P. 2006. 4-H Horse Contests Develop Life-Long Skills
- Anderson, K.P. 2005. Horsin' Around
- Anderson, K.P. 2004. Youth Life Skill Development through 4-H Horse Exhibitions
- Anderson, K., E.A. Greene, and K. Martinson. 2011. "Assessing the Impact and Usefulness of eXtension Horses (HorseQuest)". Equine Science Socety Symposium in Mufreeshoro. TN (May, 2011).
- Anderson, K., and E. A. Greene, and A. Griffin. 2011. "Teaching and Extension Workshop: Research + Teaching _ Extension = eXtension Horses: Making your research relefant and reaching now audiences." Equine Science Society Symposium in Murfreeshoro, TN (May, 2011).
- Anderson K.P. 2010. Undergraduate Equine Courses Enhance Former Student's Professional Careers, National Association of Equine Affiliated Academics meeting. Cazenovia, NY, July 26-27, 2010.
- Anderson, K.P., E.A. Greene, A.S. Griffin, C.D. Skelly, 2009. eXtension's HorseQuest - Getting Equine Education to the Top of the List. National eXtension Conferenece. St. Louis, MO. October 21, 2009.
- Greene, E.A., J.L. Whittle, A.S. Griffin, C.H. Wood, K.P. Anderson, C. A. Williams, 2009. Going Viral: Using the Audience to Market HorseQuest Content. National eXtension Conference. St. Louis, MO. October 21, 2009.
- Greene, E.A., K.P. Anderson, A.S. Griffin, A. Howard, 2009. Maximizing Reach Via the Internet While Providing Tools for Dissemination in Traditional Extension Environments. National Associations of County Agricultural Agents Annual Meetingk, Portland, OR. September, 2009.
- Greene, E.A., K.P. Anderson, C. Williams and J. Whittle. 2009. Going Viral: Using Web 2.0 Technology in Extension Education Programs. Equine Science Society Symposium. Keystone, CO. May/June 2009.
- Anderson, K.P. 2009. Unwanted Horses in Nebraska. West Central Equine Conference and Trade Show. North Platte, NE. May 21, 2009.
Web Casts/Web Seminars
- Anderson, K.P. College Shopping - Making the Best Choices for You. My Horse University/eXtension Horses. January 16, 2011.
- Anderson, K.P. 4-H Horse Project Leader Training- May 4, 2010, 68 visits.
- HorseQuest's HALTER module (Adult Leader Training and Educational Resource)
- Aksarben changes
- FAQ's on the District and State 4-H Horse shows
- Anderson, K.P. "Why won't my mare get pregnant? My Horse University/eXtension Horses. November 25, 2009. 29 participants, 19 states.
- Anderson, K.P. 2008. The Foaling Mare: Preparations and Process. My Horse University/HorseQuest. December 15, 2008.
- Anderson, K.P. 2008. Preparing and Breeding Your Mare. Horse Breeding and Selection On-Line short course. My Horse University, Michigan State University. February 4, 2008.
- Anderson, K.P. 2007. Conformation and Selection of Horses. My Horse University/HorseQuest. September 11, 2007.