FACTS AND FORMS
Communications & Technology
- Blackboard sign-on. Contact Kat Cockrill for more about Blackboard.
- For Computer & Printer Assistance, email firstname.lastname@example.org or Warren Werner.
- MyRed Portal
- Office 365 Web Email
- UNL People Search
- Employee Expense Voucher (new July 2013)
- Non Travel Expense Voucher (new July 2013)
- Visiting Personnel Form
- Pre-Trip Travel Authorization
- HAPPI Business Center Travel Documents
- Allowable Travel Expenses from UNL Travel Services. Itemized receipts must accompany all reimbursement forms.
- Travel Tips
- Agronomy & Horticulture
- Firefly at Nebraska
- HAPPI Business Center
- UNL Human Resources
Office Professionals Work Group
Welcome to the webpage for the Office Professionals Work Group in the Department of Agronomy & Horticulture at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln! The purpose of this page is to help faculty, staff, and students in the department find information, forms, and contact names quickly and easily. Please browse through this page and visit the tabs to learn more about the department and the Office Professionals.
- Who We Are
- Goodding Learning Center
- Student Services Center
- Policies & Procedures
The UNL Agronomy and Horticulture Office Professionals provide expertise in the following areas:
- Coordinating travel arrangements and expense reimbursement
- Completing purchasing card transactions forms
- Processing non-travel expense reimbursements
- Purchasing office supplies and non-chemical products
- Completing Industry Income Forms
General Office Services
- Assisting with copy and print projects (including ordering business cards and poster orders)
- Creating and updating newsletters, flyers, brochures and proceedings
- Entering data via Excel and Access
- Making conference room and conference phone reservations
- Organizing and supporting seminars and events
- Reserving university automobiles
- Proofing and editing manuscripts
- Scanning documents
- Sending faxes
- Sending letters and packages via FedEx, UPS, and USPS
- Typing and word processing
Teaching, Research, and Extension Support
- Arranging conferences, field days, field trips, seminars, short courses, and workshops
- Gleaning information from MyRed
- Navigating and updating Blackboard
- Providing course support
- Distance education assistance via PASSeL (eLibrary) and Blackboard
- Arranging "Bridge" conference calls
- Developing PowerPoint presentations
- Creating and updating department webpages
- Posting to Blackboard
- Starting equipment for conference and polycom calls
Back to top of the page.
Who We Are
The UNL Agronomy & Horticulture Office Associates or “Office Professionals” are a pool of staff members who assist faculty, staff, and students with their efforts on behalf of the department, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and the citizens of Nebraska. We promote the department in a positive way, aim to deliver a high-quality work product in a timely manner, and provide great customer service to on-campus and off-campus clients. Our balloon graphic on this page is to remind faculty, staff, and students that the Office Pros are here to lighten their workload. In short, we are here to help.
While we are cross-trained to assist with multiple job tasks, many of us work in specialty areas or have favorite types of work that we like to do. We are located in 279 Plant Sciences Hall and 202 Keim Hall.
The Office Professionals include:
Kat Cockrill, 472-1503, 279 PLSH
Kat creates and maintains Blackboard course sites. She makes proficient use of Photoshop, InDesign, Word, Excel, WordPerfect, and Adobe Acrobat for revising and/or creating all manner of course materials (course manuals, worksheets, spreadsheets, graphs, charts, illustrations, photos, etc.). She purchases supplies via eShop and with the UNL Purchasing card (P-card), revises manuscripts, sits on the Safety Committee, and completes many general office duties.
Connie Hansen, 472-8747, 279 PLSH
Connie greets people when they arrive in the 279 Plant Science office. She assists faculty, staff & students with pre-trip travel arrangements and travel expense vouchers after trips. Connie works with data entry, word processing, ordering supplies through eShop orwith her purchasing card, reserving conference rooms, and helping with special events. She will assist with planning the Crop Production Clinics in January and with developing clinic proceedings. She also serves as the shipping and receiving specialist and distributes mail to department employees.
Kathy Schindler, 472-1508, 279 PLSH
Kathy is the associate who accepts and distributes work after it arrives in the office. She enjoys writing and editing documents, creating and updating webpages, and working with the department curriculum committee where she takes minutes and enters curriculum changes into the university curriculum system. She helps with arrangements for visiting scientists and scholars. Kathy also purchases supplies, makes travel arrangements, assists with Blackboard, and reserves conference rooms as needed.
Christine Weitzel, 472-6447, 279 PLSH
Christine updates web pages, processes travel and employee expense reimbursements, orders supplies via eShop, does data entry, reserves conference rooms, and completes many other office duties. She enters vehicle mileage and tracks the two department cars. She also serves as a backup to the receptionist by answering phones and greeting visitors at the front desk at 202 Keim.
Annie Vance, 472-2811, 202 KEIM
As the department receptionist, Annie welcomes faculty, staff, students and visitors in person or by phone or e-mail. She schedules conference rooms, maintains department lists and emails, coordinates Extension manuscript movement of copy, processes travel arrangements and reimbursements, purchases supplies, and serves as a Building Maintenance Reporter. She provides assistance to the Department Head, Assistant to the Department Head, Facilities Coordinator, Business Manager, and Personnel Generalist. She also serves on the department Awards Committee and the Activities & Entertainment Committee.
Back to top of the page.
Goodding Learning Center
Diane Nolan, 472-1515, 280 PLSH
Diane is the computer information assistant in the Goodding Center. She assists faculty, staff and students with computer, printing, and technology issues. She also provides support on Blackboard, Moodle, and the PASSeL e-Library. Diane is president of the department's re-established Staff Advisory Committee (SAC).
Student Services Center
Our Student Services Center operates with Marlene Busse and Ashley Hartman staffing the center. The goal of this student-focused office is to provide a resource center to Department of Agronomy and Horticulture graduate and undergraduate students. Students may obtain information and forms, and staff will be able to help students reach their faculty advisors.
Marlene Busse, 472-1560, 279K PLSH
Marlene assists students with finding resources, information, and forms. She works with the Schedule of Classes, class rosters and textbook orders. With extensive experience working with graduate students, Marlene collects graduate student applications and organizes department scholarship applications for the Graduate and Scholarship committees respectively. Marlene serves on the department Recruitment and Retention Committee, and the Scholarship Committee.
Ashley Hartman, 472-1730, 279J PLSH
Ashley serves as a resource for graduate and undergraduate students. She works extensively with distance education students and classes. She provides distance education support for certificate programs and AG*IDEA classes. Ashley also sits on the department Retention & Recruitment Committee, and the Scholarship Committee.
Helpful web pages for Department of Agronomy & Horticulture students include:
- Graduate Student home page;
- UNL Graduate Bulletin;
- Agronomy & Horticulture Graduate Student Association (AHGSA);
- Agronomy & Horticulture Prospective Undergraduate Students;
- CASNR Undergraduate Academic Bulletin;
- UNL Undergraduate Bulletin;
- and the Transfer Course Equivalency web page,
Back to top of the page.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQs)
- How does the Office Pool work?
Contact Kathy Schindler, administrative support associate, at 472-1508 to discuss work requests. She assigns the request to the office personnel based on the nature of the work, the pool’s current workload, the due date, and the associate’s skill set.
- How do I get assistance with classes on Blackboard?
The Office Associates need to be added in Blackboard as either Teaching Assistants (T.A.s) or Course Builders. Please contact Kathy Schindler at 472-1508 so she can assign an office associate. Our Blackboard expert is Kat Cockrill.
- Who must sign my expense voucher?
When requesting reimbursement for work-related travel or purchases, the employee and the owner of the cost object account number must both sign the expense voucher. This person is usually the professor, supervisor or administrator that the employee works for, but occasionally it is someone in another department or building. The department head, business manager, or deans may also sign the voucher depending on the funding source.
- How does the university mail system work?
USPS mail is delivered to UNL East Campus on the odd-numbered days of the month and City Campus on the even-numbered days of the month. Incoming mail is delivered about 10:30 a.m. Our staff distributes the mail and it is usually in mail boxes by 2 p.m. Staff and students will find their mail in the “support mail box” of their supervising professor in 279 Plant Sciences Hall (PLSH).
- Who do I contact if I haven’t received a timecard or paycheck yet?
Please contact a member of the HAPPI Business Center. Faculty members and salaried employees should contact John Dillingham, 472-1548. Hourly employees should contact Mary Jo Haverkamp, 472-2859, and student employees should contact Susan Thomas, 472-8617.
- Who do I contact to get keys or building access?
Contact T.J. McAndrew, Facilities Coordinator, or Annie Vance, 472-2811, in 202 Keim Hall.
- Who should I call for Purchasing help?
Contact Gene Hogan, 472-6238, or Valerie Swartz, 472-5132, in the HAPPI Business Center or Kathy Schindler, 472-1508, with the Office Pros group, for more information about purchasing. The Office Pros can order supplies through eShop or with Purchasing cards. Gene and Valerie can set up shoppers for the university's eShop system.
- Who can assist me with travel arrangements?
Please contact Kathy Schindler so she can assign an Office Associate to start your travel arrangements.
Policies & Procedures
Contact any of the Office Pros to find your copy code within the department. The 4- or 5-digit copier codes are put into the "Department Code" screen on the copiers, and are used to bill for copies.
Mailing & Distribution
- Fed Ex: A FedEx Express Driver picks up packages between 3:30-4 p.m. each business day. For FedEx Ground pickup, please call 1-800-463-3339.
- UPS: UPS picks up at 2:30 p.m. daily in the Plant Pathology office, 406 PLSH. For free "Smart" pickup from 279 PLSH, call 1-800-742-5877.
- USPS Mail Delivery Schedule: Mail arrives on UNL East Campus on the odd-numbered days of the month and is usually delivered by 2 p.m.
- The physical shipping address for the department is: UNL Department of Agronomy & Horticulture, 1875 N. 38th St., 279 PLSH, Lincoln, NE 68583-0915.
- Reserving Conference Rooms
To reserve a conference room, please contact any of the Office Professionals. Our conference rooms include: 202N Keim Hall; 150 Keim Hall, 279M Plant Science Hall; and 375 Plant Sciences Hall. Please throw away trash and clean up the room following use.
- Reserving Class Rooms
Contact Marlene Busse, 472-1560.
Safety & Health
- Department Safety Committee
- Environmental Health and Safety
- UNL Health Center
- USDA Safety & Health webpage in Lincoln, NE
- Department Cars: The Department of Agronomy and Horticulture rents two cars for short-term (less than 5 days) use by faculty, staff & graduate students. Drivers must be authorized to drive a university vehicle. To reserve a car or to find out how to get authorized to drive a university car, contact T.J. McAndrew or Kathy Schindler. There is no charge to drive the car below 25 miles. After 25 miles, the charge is $.21 a mile and that may be billed to a cost object. A Voyager fuel card is available for purchasing gasoline.
- University Transportation Department: There are a variety of vehicles to rent from the UNL transportation department. The cost depends on the size and type of vehicle, and the trip destination. A Voyager fuel card is also available for purchasing gasoline.
Agronomy and Horticulture Department Newsletters
Agronomy and Horticulture Department Newsletter Archives
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 25, 2013
- June 20, 2013
- May 22, 2013
- April 24, 2013
- March 27, 2013
- Feb. 7, 2013
- Dec. 21, 2012
- Nov. 30, 2012
- Oct. 24, 2012
- Oct. 5, 2012
- Sept. 20, 2012
- Sept. 5, 2012
- Aug. 13, 2012
- July 16, 2012
- June 20. 2012
- May 25, 2012
- May 11, 2012
- April 27, 2012
- April 10, 2012
- March 26, 2012
- March 12, 2012
Back to top of the page.