Plant of the Month Archive
Medium Deciduous Trees
Small Evergreen Trees
Medium Evergreen Trees
Sustainable Nebraska landscapes minimize high maintenance turfgrass areas, utilize plant material for shade, wind protection, erosion control and beauty, and use native/adapted plant species to save on maintenance costs.
Native and adapted plants include those which:
- Are hardy to USDA hardiness zone 4 or 5 (depending on where you are located in the state.)
- Resist disease and insect pests to minimize pesticide use.
- Have deep root systems for maximum drought tolerance.
- Use existing soil fertility with low-input fertilizer applications.
- Tolerate Nebraska winters with periods of minimal snow cover, desiccating winds, temperature extremes, and winter warm spells.