PASE Resources (Revised 4/09)
- Intermediate Quiz Bowl
- Senior Quiz Bowl
- Quiz Bowl Example Questions
- Poultry Judging
- Meats Judging
- Livestock Skill-a-thon
The resources for the Intermediate Division will be the 4-H project manuals and the current events/current topics references listed below.
- 4-H 134R Swine Resource Handbook for Market and Breeding Projects
- 4-H 194R Sheep Resource Handbook for Market and Breeding Projects
- 4-H 117R Beef Resource Handbook
- NATL4H 08065 Swine 1: The Incredible Pig
- NATL4H 08066 Swine 2: Putting the Oink in Pig
- NATL4H 08067 Swine 3: Going Whole Hog
- NATL4H 08068 Swine Helpers Guide
- NATL4H 08143 Beef 1: Bite Into Beef
- NATL4H 08144 Beef 2: Here's the Beef
- NATL4H 08145 Beef 3: Leading the Charge
- NATL4H 08146 Beef Helpers Guide
- NATL4H 06367 Sheep 1: Rams, Lambs and You
- NATL4H 06368 Sheep 2: Shear Delight
- NATL4H 06369 Sheep 3: Leading the Flock
- NATL4H 06370 Sheep Helpers Guide
- NATL4H 07909 Meat Goat 1: Just Browsing
- NATL4H 07910 Meat Goat 2: Get Growing with Meat Goats
- NATL4H 07911 Meat Goat 3: Meating the Future
- NALT4H 07912 Meat Goat Helper's Guide
The NATL4H numbers above are the most recently revised copies of these project manuals.
A portion of questions (approximately 10-15%) will be related to the Meat Goat Project. The primary references for this are available on-line and include:
- 4-H Meat Goat Guide from Texas A & M University
- Meat Goat Home Study Course from Penn State Cooperative Extension
- Agricultural Research Services
- Alabama Cooperative Extension: Overview of the US Meat Goat Industry
- Penn State Cooperative Extension: Selecting Meat Goats
Current Event and Current Topics References
A percentage of questions for both intermediate and senior division question will be based on current events in the beef, sheep and swine industries. The following on-line resources will be used to develop these questions.
- Pork Magazine (questions related to current industry issues, December 2012-May 2013)
- Beef Magazine (questions related to current industry issues, December 2012-May 2013)
- American Sheep Industry Association
- USDA Statistics - meat goats
- National Cattlemen's Beef Association: Questions from the NCBA site will focus on the following specific topic and links:
- National Pork Board: Questions from the Pork Board site will be focused from the following specific topics and links:
The following articles from The Nebraska Department of Agriculture website will be used as current event references. You can link directly to them by clicking on the title.
- Beef Industry at a Glance
- Nebraska’s Beef Industry
- Locate in 48
- Vesicular Stomatitis
- Nebraska Ram Project
- Foot and Mouth Disease
- Foot and Mouth Disease International Travel
All 4-H manuals listed above will be used as references for the Senior Division. However, in order to ensure quality and an adequate variety of questions, livestock NebGuides, Extension Circulars and other resources may also be used as a reference. Much of the material in the 4-H manuals is duplicated in the additional resources; however, the additional resources provide more details on many of the subject matter areas. The following references are available on-line or at your county extension office.
The following references are available on-line under the "Beef" section of IANR publications:
- G1409 Managing Feedlot Heat Stress
- G1293 Feedlot Abandonment Recommended Procedures
- G100 Feeding High Moisture Corn
- G1637 Beef Export Verification Programs: What Should Cattle Producers Do?
- G2060 Water Requirements for Beef Cattle *NEW
- G2036 Feed Value of Alternative Crops for Beef Cattle *NEW
Animal Health and Diseases:
The following references are available under the "Animal Diseases" section of IANR publications:
- G1692 Banned Mammalian Protein What does it mean?
- G1693 Attending Fairs: Safeguarding Your Health and Nebraska's Livestock Industry
- G1694 Biosecurity: Protecting Your Health and the Health of your Animals
- G1690 Information about Foot and Mouth Disease for Nebraska Residents
- G1689 Guarding Against Contagious Livestock Diseases from Farm Visitors
- G1445 Understanding Vaccines
- G1411 Biosecurity Basics for Cattle Operations & Good Management Practices (GMP) for Controlling Infectious Diseases
The following references are available under the "Animals, General" section of IANR publications:
- G1500 Blending Grain and Feedstuffs- How to Figure the Proper Proportions
The following references are available under the "Sheep" section of IANR publications:
- G1142 Sheep and Goat Insect Management *NEW
The following references are available under the "Swine" section of IANR publications:
- EC840 Pork Production in Nebraska: The Ability to Make a Living
- G1094 Controlling External Swine Parasites *NEW
Range & Forage:
The following references are available under the "Range and Forage" section of IANR publications:
- G1616 Windrow Grazing
- EC127 Grazing Systems for Nebraska Sandhills Rangeland
The following references are available under the "Dairy" section of the IANR publications (information applies to beef cattle also)
- G952 Estrus (Heat) Detection Guidelines
An additional meat goat reference for senior level is the Training and Certification Program for Meat Goat Producers from Langston University.
The following questions are from past contests. Since these questions were used, some of the references listed may have become outdated, been updated or removed from the reference list.
The reference for this contest is "National 4-H Poultry Judging" (4-H 460), available from your County Extension Office. Judging Laying Hens slide set (on-line viewing only) provides the criteria for judging laying hens, both by description and in many pictures.
Resources for the identification section of the 4-H Meats for Consumer contest include the booklet " Identifying Meat Cuts " published by the National Cattlemen's Beef Association, the National Pork Producers Council and the American Meat Science Association.
Dr. Dennis Burson, contest superintendent, has also posted numerous retail cut identification practice photos on the web at the link below:
For the written test, an example test and key is included here for you.
An example food safety lab practicum is included also.
The following example worksheets were used in the 2006 Livestock Skill-a-thon Pilot contest at PASE or in District Field Days and workshops presented in 2006 and 2007. Worksheets and stations activities for the current year's contest may be similar, but will not be identical to these.
- Equipment and Breeds Station
- Feeds and Feeding Station
- Quality Assurance Station
- Evaluation and Marketing - Swine Example
- Evaluation and Marketing - Beef Example
- Evaluation and Marketing - Lamb Example
- Breeding Scenario - Intermediate Level Example - Sheep
- Breeding Scenario - Intermediate Level Example - Swine
- Breeeding Scenario - Senior Level Example - Cattle
- Senior Cattle Key
- Breeding Scenario - Senior Level Example - Swine
No worksheets are provided for the Meats Station. The meats station in the past has consisted of retail meat ID and a retail judging class with questions. The retail meat ID resources are found in the Meats Judging section of this page.
The AgMania website also provides numerous examples of feed and equipment identification, meat cut identification and other study sections for the skill-a-thon contest.