- 4-H at the Nebraska State Fair
- Scoresheets and Forms
- Animal Exhibitor Information
- State Fair App for Android
- State Fair App for iPad/iPhone
- 2013 Fairbook
- Nebraska State Fair - Fairgrounds Map
- Fairgrounds Entrance Map
- 4-H Exhibit Hall Map
- 4-H at State Fair Schedule
- Complete Livestock Schedule
- State Fair Loading and Unloading PowerPoint
- Tips to Prepare for State Fair and Aksarben
- Volunteer Information
- Judges Training and Information
Join the Fun at the Nebraska State Fair as a Volunteer!
The Nebraska 4-H program is seeking volunteers to help with exhibit entry day, judging, and serving as 4-H exhibit building hosts and greeters. Volunteers will be needed for educational activities in the 4-H building, serving as the Lil’ Green Mascot and assisting with all 4-H contests and events throughout the fair. State Fair 4-H volunteers will receive a fair pass for the day(s) they volunteer. A complete list of volunteer opportunities can be found below.
To volunteer at the Nebraska State Fair complete one of the following:
- Online 4-H Volunteer Interest Form
- Download the 2013 State Fair Nebraska 4-H Volunteer Interest Form (DOCX or PDF)
If you have questions about being a 4-H volunteer at the Nebraska State Fair, please contact Cathy Johnston, Extension Educator, at 402-472-1762.
We look forward to seeing you in Grand Island!
4-H Exhibit Entry Day / Judging
Help with preparations for the fair on Wednesday, August 21, and/or Thursday, August 22. Volunteers will assist with exhibit check-in, judging, and help arrange displays. Indicate the project area you are interested in on your Volunteer Interest Form. Note: Buses will be available to/from Lincoln on Wednesday, August 21. Please sign-up on the registration form to ride the bus.
4-H Green Team Hosts
Be a part of the welcome crew for the 4-H exhibit building. Green Team Hosts will stroll throughout the building to welcome fair-goers, answer questions, and assist building coordinators. If you enjoy meeting and speaking with the public, and are passionate about 4-H, join the Green Team! Older 4-H members are encouraged to sign-up with a friend or families can volunteer together as hosts. Wear your smile, 4-H attire and have fun! A minimum of two volunteers are needed per shift; shifts are available each day of the fair during the following times:
- 9 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- 12 p.m. - 3 p.m.
- 3 p.m. - 6 p.m.
- 6 p.m. - 9 p.m.
4-H Lil’ Green Mascot
Represent Nebraska 4-H by volunteering to be inside and/or escort Lil' Green, the 4-H mascot. Youth and/or adults who meet the following mascot requirements are encouraged to help: age 14+, height between 5'3" and 6'3", waistline of 38" or less, ability to physically endure being inside a mascot up to one hour; energetic and willing to interact with fair-goers of all ages in a positive manner. A minimum of two volunteers are needed per shift (one to be inside Lil' Green, one or more to escort Lil' Green); shifts are available during the following times:
- Saturday, August 24; 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- Saturday, August 24; 12 p.m. - 2 p.m.
- Sunday, August 25; 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- Sunday, August 25; 12 p.m. - 2 p.m.
- Saturday, August 31; 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- Saturday, August 31; 12 p.m. - 2 p.m.
- Saturday, August 31; 2 p.m. - 4 p.m.
- Sunday, September 1; 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- Sunday, September 1; 12 p.m. - 2 p.m.
- Sunday, September 1; 2 p.m. - 4 p.m.
- Monday, September 2; 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- Monday, September 2; 12 p.m. - 2 p.m.
- Monday, September 2; 2 p.m. - 4 p.m.
4-H Educational Activities
Do you like to be where the action is? If so, volunteer to assist with hands-on educational activities in the 4-H exhibit building, talk with visitors, and showcase project curriculum. Youth and adult volunteers are needed from Friday, August 23 through Monday, September 2. Shifts are available from 11 a.m. - 7 p.m. each day.
4-H Livestock Office Assistance
If you are knowledgeable about livestock, the state fair livestock shows, and enjoy working with the public, additional help may be needed in the Livestock Office answering questions and helping staff members with show preparations and more. Please mark the Volunteer Interest Form with dates/times you are available. Shifts are available Saturday, August 24 through Monday, August 26, and Labor Day weekend, Friday, August 31 through Monday, September 2.
4-H Contest/Event Assistance
There are a wide range of fair contests/events you may assist with. Serve as a judge's helper, timekeeper, ribbon distributor, etc. Mark your Volunteer Interest Form with your contest/event choices.